Videos tagged with "month"
Scottish Highland Games Ceres Fife Scotland [02:51]
Tour Scotland video of photographs from a visit to the Scottish Highland Games in Ceres, Fife. Ceres Games are the oldest free games in Scotland, always held on the last Saturday of the month of June. A small selection of my personal photographs shot on small group tours of Scotland.
Glen Etive Deer - Scotland [03:48]
This beautiful film of deer in Glen Etive, as they come down from the mountains for food at this time of year. Using my best footage of the past couple of months in Glen Etive.
Snow Falling Huntingtower Castle Perth Perthshire Scotland [01:17]
Tour Scotland Winter video of snow falling on visit to Huntingtower Castle, by Perth, Perthshire, Scotland. Huntingtower Castle once known as Ruthven Castle or the Palace of Ruthven is situated about 3 miles from the centre of Perth, on the main road to Crieff. The Castle was built in stages from the 15th century by the Clan Ruthven family and was known for several hundred years as the Palace of Ruthven. In the summer of 1582, the castle was occupied by the 4th Lord Ruthven, who was also the 1st Earl of Gowrie, and his family. Gowrie was involved in a plot to kidnap the young King James VI, son of Mary, Queen of Scots. During 1582 Gowrie and his associates seized the young king and held him prisoner for 10 months. This kidnapping is known as the 'Raid of Ruthven' and the Protestant conspirators behind it hoped to gain power through controlling the king. James eventually escaped and actually forgave Gowrie, but after a second abortive attempt by Gowrie and others to overthrow him, Gowrie was finally executed and his property, including Huntingtower, was forfeited to the crown. The Castle and lands were restored to the Ruthven family in 1586. However in 1600, the brothers John and Alexander Ruthven were implicated in another plot to kill King James VI and were executed. This time, the king was less merciful: as well as seizing the estates, he abolished the name of Ruthven and decreed that any successors would be ineligible to hold titles or lands. Thus the House of Ruthven ...
William Rae Wilson Mausoleum Necropolis Glasgow Scotland [00:31]
Tour Scotland video of the William Rae Wilson Mausoleum on visit to Glasgow Necropolis. Doctor William Rae Wilson LLD, sometime of Kelvinbank, was born in Paisley 7th June 1772. Wilson practised as a solicitor. Unfortunately his first wife died 18 months after they were married and he went travelling in the Middle East, subsequently writing 'Travels in the holy land' and other books. Eventually he married 'An English lady of good family' from London. When Wilson died she had this domed octagonal Moorish kiosk built, in the style of Sepulchre monuments from his beloved Palestine. No wood, iron or lead has been used in its construction, all joints are concealed. The family arms of Rae and Wilson are depicted in white marble inside. Wilson adopted the middle name of Rae when he inherited money from an uncle of the same name.
Ralph Wardlaw Gravestone Necropolis Glasgow Scotland [00:37]
Tour Scotland video of the Reverend Ralph Wardlaw Memorial gravestone on visit to Glasgow Necropolis. Ralph, born 22nd December 1779, died 15th December 1853, was a Scottish Presbyterian clergyman and writer. He was born in Dalkeith, before his family moved to Glasgow when he was six months old. His father was a prosperous merchant and civic magistrate, while his mother was the daughter of the Rev. James Fisher and the granddaughter of Ebenezer Erskine, two of the founding ministers of the United Secession Church. At the age of eight he was enrolled at the High School of Glasgow for four years, before being accepted as a student of theology at the University of Glasgow, aged twelve. Despite his strong familial connections to the Secession Church, shortly after his University studies were complete he turned to Independent Congregationalism, as introduced from England by James and Robert Haldane. He was ordained in 1803 by Rev. Greville Ewing, the popular minister of Lady Glenorchy's church, shortly after a chapel had been erected for him by his friends and family in Albion Street. Although his first congregation numbered only 61, his success as a preacher was sufficient that by 1811 he and Ewing founded Glasgow's first academy for congregationalist theology students. In 1818 he moved his congregation to a new church in West George Street capable of holding more than 1500 people, where he remained until the closure of his ministerial life. Wardlaw strongly influenced David ...