Videos tagged with "derelict"
Derelict Scottish Cottage Dron Perthshire Scotland [00:30]
Tour Scotland video of a derelict Scottish cottage on visit to Dron, Perthshire.
Craigtoun Hospital By St Andrews Fife Scotland [00:49]
Tour Scotland March video of the now derelict Craigtoun Hospital on visit to St Andrews, Fife. Craigtoun Hospital was was at one time a mansion house owned by the Younger family who also previously owned Craigtoun Park itself. Dr James and Mrs Annie Younger, of the famous family of Scottish Brewers, lived here, at Mount Melville, as it was called when they were in residence. Many good causes in East Fife benefited from Dr and Mrs Younger's generosity. Deeply interested in the Episcopal Church, Mrs Younger was responsible for the completion of All Saints' Church in the 1920s and the Rectory of the Church completed in 1939. She and her husband donated the Younger Hall to the University of St Andrews. It was built at a cost of £90000 and formally opened in 1929 by the Duchess of York when it was presented to the University. Mrs Younger was President of the St Andrews Horticultural Association and for many years the exhibit of flowers from Mount Melville gardens was a feature of the shows. She took an interest in the St Andrews Cottage Hospital, and each year gave a Christmas dinner to staff and patients. Mrs Younger died in August 1942 aged 78, and is buried in the Eastern Cemetery, St Andrews.
Autumn View Kinnaird Castle Perthshire Scotland October 29th [00:35]
Tour Scotland Autumn video of Kinnaird Castle on visit to the Carse of Gowrie, Perthshire. This Scottish castle was built as a frontier castle to protect the Carse of Gowrie and its people against the Highlanders. It is a royal castle and is reputed to have been built in 1107. The Kinnaird family lived in the castle from the mid-twelfth century. In 1449, due to a misunderstanding between two hot-tempered Scots, involving the death of a member of the Douglas Clan, Kinnaird was besieged by the Douglas Clan, who managed to break in, loot and wreck the castle. Most of the castle had to be rebuilt in 1450. A lot of the castle fabric today dates from 1450. The basement area dates back to earlier periods. John Kinnaird of that ilk (15th Laird of Kinnaird) was obliged to sell the family estates of Kinnaird. He resigned the lands and barony of Kinnaird into the hands of the King James I & VI, who, on 26th March 1618, granted them to John Livingston, a Gentleman of the Kings Bedchamber. The castle passed to the Colvilles, who in turn, passed it to the Threipland family in 1674. After some years of occupancy, Kinnaird was abandoned. In 1854, three ladies took pity on the derelict castle and spent a fortune in repairs. In due course, the place was again bought by the Threiplands.