Videos tagged with "15th"
Castle Campbell, Dollar, Scotland [03:38]
Dramatically situated above Dollar Glen is the forbidding looking 15th-century fortress, Castle Campbell. The castle was the lowland stronghold of the powerful Campbell earls of Argyll, who were seldom far from the major political and religious events of late medieval Scotland. Attractive terraced gardens.
Dancing Astrophysicists: Scottish Cèilidh #2 [02:44]
Astrophysicists including Christiane Helling, Moira Jardine, Ettore Pedretti, and Eric Stempels dancing at a Scottish cèilidh (a traditional Gaelic social gathering, which usually involves playing Gaelic folk music and dancing) at the 15th Cambridge Workshop on Cool Stars, Stellar Systems and the Sun (Cool Stars 15) in St. Andrews, Scotland, UK in July 2008.
Rainy Autumn Day Kilchurn Castle Loch Awe Argyll Scotland [01:11]
Tour Scotland Autumn video of a rainy day on visit to the ruined 15th and 17th century Kilchurn Castle in Loch Awe in Argyll. This was the ancestral home of the Campbells of Glen Orchy, who later became the Earls of Breadalbane also known as the Breadalbane family branch, of the Clan Campbell. This Scottish castle was built about 1450 by Sir Colin Campbell, first Lord of Glenorchy, as a five storey tower house with a courtyard defended by an outer wall. By about 1500 an additional range and a hall had been added to the south side of the castle. Further buildings went up during the 16th and 17th centuries. Kilchurn was on a small island in Loch Awe scarcely larger than the castle itself, although it is now connected to the mainland as the water level was altered in 1817. The castle would have been accessed via an underwater or low lying causeway. Towards the end of the 16th century the Clan MacGregor of Glenstrae were occupying the castle. Once owning the lands of Glenorchy during the 14th century, until they passed through marriage to the Campbells, the MacGregors were appointed keepers to Kilchurn Castle as the Campbells spent much of their time at Fincharn. This arrangement lasted until the very early part of the 17th century, when a violent feud between the two families brought it to an end and the Campbells retook possession. In 1681, Sir John Campbell of Glenorchy was made 1st Earl of Breadalbane. To take advantage of the turbulence of the times, he converted ...
Autumn View Kinnaird Castle Perthshire Scotland October 29th [00:35]
Tour Scotland Autumn video of Kinnaird Castle on visit to the Carse of Gowrie, Perthshire. This Scottish castle was built as a frontier castle to protect the Carse of Gowrie and its people against the Highlanders. It is a royal castle and is reputed to have been built in 1107. The Kinnaird family lived in the castle from the mid-twelfth century. In 1449, due to a misunderstanding between two hot-tempered Scots, involving the death of a member of the Douglas Clan, Kinnaird was besieged by the Douglas Clan, who managed to break in, loot and wreck the castle. Most of the castle had to be rebuilt in 1450. A lot of the castle fabric today dates from 1450. The basement area dates back to earlier periods. John Kinnaird of that ilk (15th Laird of Kinnaird) was obliged to sell the family estates of Kinnaird. He resigned the lands and barony of Kinnaird into the hands of the King James I & VI, who, on 26th March 1618, granted them to John Livingston, a Gentleman of the Kings Bedchamber. The castle passed to the Colvilles, who in turn, passed it to the Threipland family in 1674. After some years of occupancy, Kinnaird was abandoned. In 1854, three ladies took pity on the derelict castle and spent a fortune in repairs. In due course, the place was again bought by the Threiplands.
Smailholm Tower Borders Of Scotland [01:02]
Tour Scotland video of Smailholm Tower on a visit to the Scottish Borders. This Scottish peel tower is located five miles West of Kelso on a crag on top of Lady Hill. It was originally built in the 15th century or early 16th century by the Pringle family. The tower was attacked by English soldiers in 1543, 1544 and again in 1546, when the garrison of Wark Castle sacked the tower and carried off prisoners and cattle. The castle was successfully defended against the English in 1640, by Sir Andrew Ker of Greenhead.