Ladybank Golf Club
Ladybank Golf Club is one of Scotland‚Äôs best inland courses located in the in the heart of Fife. Unlike other courses here it is sheltered by the Howe of Fife from excessive gusty winds. This course of outstanding quality and rare beauty was originally a six-hole layout designed by Old Tom Morris when Ladybank Golf Club was established in 1879. By 1910 it had been expanded to a circular nine-hole course. This was further expanded to 18 holes in 1961. A new Clubhouse was built in 1971 and the old building became the present Pro shop.
Ladybank hit the news in golfing circles in 1978 when it was selected as a venue for the British Open qualifying rounds. That was just the beginning as since then, Ladybank Golf Club has hosted the final qualifying several times. A beautiful parkland layout of Championship status (Par 71) with heather, pine trees and silver birch as part of its setting, the 6754 yard course at Ladybank has two loops of nine holes. Visitors usually play on the blue course of 6299 yards.
A day playing golf at Ladybank is rewarding in many other ways too. Ladybank is also home to some uncommon flora and fauna which provides character to the course. The profusion of woodland, grassland and heather provide a habitat for varieties of squirrels and birds as well as other wildlife. It is however best not to be too distracted from the game as the course calls for concentration, accuracy and bravery.
The tree lined fairways and compact greens call for precision in the approach shots and accuracy and gumption during play. The championship course is an excellent test of golf playing skills and is not to be taken lightly. If you do so you can expect to be punished!
The very first hole is a dogleg that is typical of several others at Ladybank Golf Club. The player is faced with a tight second to the green after having carried the rough to the fairway. The green is surrounded by bunkers which call for pretty accurate shots. This is just a taste of the game ahead!