Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Travel

Notices

Isle of Skye

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27th April 2012, 13:57

Smile Isle of Skye

Looking for some help planning a portion of our trip in Skye. While I know there is a lot to see, I'm hoping for some suggestions on what exactly to see and how to accomplish this during our (approximate 3 day stay)! So far our list includes Storr/hike/scenery, Quiraing, Talisker distillery, Skeabost, Dunvegan castle, Sligachan for the fairy pools... This is definitely a working list so please chime in...!

First, we are planning are renting a car while on Skye (assuming this will happen after we take the ferry over, unless anyone has other suggestions?).

We are staying in Portree. So once we rent the car from the ferry (we should be on Skye by noon at the latest)... We will head to Portree. What stops do you recommend on the trek North - keeping in mind out B&B recommends we arrive no later than 5pm?

Once we check-in, our schedules are wide open for the remainder of our stay in Portree. Let me know your thoughts on how to spend the next 2 days until we head to Kyle to catch our train (we were thinking of stopping by eilean donan castle on the way and dropping off the car in Kyle).

Again, we are also open to visiting surround islands, checking out stops we haven't yet heard of, etc. - so please speak up )

Thanks in advance!
Old 1st May 2012, 20:04

hiring a car on Skye

I would highly suggest that you confirm whether or not you can hire a car at Armadale, which is the (very small) port for the CalMac ferry from Mallaig to Skye. From what I can recall, there were a handful of tourist shops and a coffee shop. I do not recall seeing a car rental agency. Go to the main website for Caledonian MacBrayne, click the Destinations tab, go to Port details (Armadale), and read the information about that port. There is a bus to Portree (which we took) and maybe you can rent a car in Portree.

As far as other things to see/do on Skye, there is an official website for the Isle of Skye which has great photos and ideas for travel plans, and also has a newsletter you can sign up for via email. There is a link to the website on the CalMac site.
Old 2nd May 2012, 04:08
Super Moderator

The Clan Donald Centre is there and interesting. Lovely old ruins!

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!