Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Travel

Notices

Scotland 6 Day Itinerary

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20th April 2012, 17:08

Scotland 6 Day Itinerary

Hi! I'm getting ready to head to Scotland in June with my boyfriend. I previously posted our proposed itinerary which thanks to all of you, we were told was a bit too amitious. With that, we've revised it slightly in hopes to make it a more memorable and relaxing journey.

Let me know your thoughts! -- biggest outsanding questions are bolded below (and involved car vs. train)

DAY 1 – THURSDAY
o Glasgow sites on Thursday
o Stay in Glasgow for the night

DAY 2 – FRIDAY
o Day trip through tour company… See Trossachs / Lake Lommond / Stirling Castle

DAY 3 – SATURDAY
o Day trip to Edinburgh, stop off to see the Falkirk wheel and then jump back on and continue to Edinburgh

DAY 4 – SUNDAY
o Take train (ScotRail) to Fort William (OR DO YOU RECOMMEND OBAN?)
o Check out Glen Nevis and ride the Gondola up to Aanoch Mor for great scenery and walking paths (1/2 day stop?)
o Rent car –OR– sould we continue on the West Highland Rail? End at Maillaig and take the ferry (CalMac) to Skye (30 mins).
o Stay in Portree (Skye) for the night[/b]

Day 5 – MONDAY
o To Do’s for the Isle of Skye (will do some Day 4 and Day 5)
 Otters (right off where we enter from the bridge)
 Storr = Mountain / cliff views. Easy hike to The Old Man and the scenery at the top is breathtaking
 Quiraing
 Talisker distillery
 Skeabost = the ruins of a chapel with midevil tombstombs
 Dunvegan castle
 Sligachan = fairy pools
o Stay in Portree (Skye) for the night

DAY 6 – TUESDAY
o Drive to Inverness via Eilean Donan Castle –OR- should we train from Kyle of Localsh (Near the Skye Bridge)??
o Catch plane from Inverness to Belfast
o Stay in Belfast for the night
Old 20th April 2012, 20:38
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgalopin View Post
Hi! I'm getting ready to head to Scotland in June with my boyfriend. I previously posted our proposed itinerary which thanks to all of you, we were told was a bit too amitious. With that, we've revised it slightly in hopes to make it a more memorable and relaxing journey.

Let me know your thoughts! -- biggest outsanding questions are bolded below (and involved car vs. train)

DAY 1 – THURSDAY
o Glasgow sites on Thursday

DAY 2 – FRIDAY
o Day trip through tour company… See Trossachs / Lake Lomond / Stirling Castle

OOPZ its Loch and not Lake

DAY 3 – SATURDAY
o Day trip to Edinburgh, stop off to see the Falkirk wheel and then jump back on and continue to Edinburgh

DAY 4 – SUNDAY
o Take train (ScotRail) to Fort William (OR DO YOU RECOMMEND OBAN?)
o Check out Glen Nevis and ride the Gondola up to Aanoch Mor for great scenery and walking paths (1/2 day stop?)
o Rent car –OR– sould we continue on the West Highland Rail? End at Maillaig and take the ferry (CalMac) to Skye (30 mins).
o Stay in Portree (Skye) for the night[/b]

Did you find out if it is possible to hire a car and return to a different location ?

Fort William

I could have spent all day on Aanoch Mor.. you need an hour just to eat in the cafe...so much to watch outside it does take ages to eat

Day 5 – MONDAY
o To Do’s for the Isle of Skye (will do some Day 4 and Day 5)
 Otters (right off where we enter from the bridge)
 Storr = Mountain / cliff views. Easy hike to The Old Man and the scenery at the top is breathtaking
 Quiraing
 Talisker distillery
 Skeabost = the ruins of a chapel with midevil tombstombs
 Dunvegan castle
 Sligachan = fairy pools
o Stay in Portree (Skye) for the night

DAY 6 – TUESDAY
o Drive to Inverness via Eilean Donan Castle –OR- should we train from Kyle of Localsh (Near the Skye Bridge)??
o Catch plane from Inverness to Belfast
o Stay in Belfast for the night

I would go by train or even go the north route by car as the scenery is wonderful
Will leave the first few days for others to comment on

Suki
Old 21st April 2012, 00:10

Smile Your Itinerary

I like this one much better. . .more realistic and achievable itinerary!

Comments:
1) are you sure you don't want to spend a night in Edinburgh? It's a lovely city, and you don't want to miss the castle, the royal mile and Hollyrood house. Plus the eerie and reportedly haunted city beneath the city (Mary King's Close). I can recommend a great pub on Princes Street called the Mercat.
2) Definitely go to Ft William. While Oban is also nice and picturesque, you have more connections from Ft "Bill" (as my brother called it) to Ben Nevis (tallest mountain in UK), the West Highland Railway (the Harry Potter steam train stops there too) to Maillaig, and excellent walking paths for those who want exercise.
3) Take the railroad to Maillaig then the ferry to Skye. You will be so awestruck by the scenery from the windows of the train that you'll be glad you are not trying to drive and look at the same time. Glad to hear you'll be staying in Portree. Interesting and colorful little village. Bet you'll find a lively pub somewhere above the harbour.
4) I have another name of potential tour guides, Loch Lomond Guides (John and Ann). While they live in Helensbourgh, it's not far away and I'm sure they'd come pick you up in Glasgow (they drove us to the airport the morning we left). John has many tales about the Trossachs and clans and famous heros that he'll be glad to regale you with on the drive to Stirling. Please try to stop in Luss, which is a tiny village on Loch Lomond. It is so perfectly preserved and tidy and colorful and the people are wonderful.

I wish I could join you! Have FUN!
Old 21st April 2012, 10:39
Username Removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgalopin View Post
Lake Lommond

Loch (not Lake) Lomond (not Lommond)

You're still packing in an awful lot in a short time. As for train v car - the train allows you all to enjoy the scenery whereas by car, the driver will have to be concentrating on driving on twisty hilly single carriageway roads. On the other hand, a car gives you more flexibility over times, places to stop etc.
Old 21st April 2012, 22:48

Thumbs up thanks

thanks everyone!!
glad this itinerary seems a little more doable. i do think we will reevaluate again... i'll have another update soon.
Old 21st April 2012, 23:21

Allowing for travel, a half day/2 thirds of a day for Edinburgh? The nation's capital?
Please do not assume that any underlined links in my posts are MY recommendations. They are not. It is this American site taking advantage of members' posts about Scotland to boost their advertising revenue.
Old 22nd April 2012, 10:44
Username Removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwarth View Post
Allowing for travel, a half day/2 thirds of a day for Edinburgh? The nation's capital?
The same thought went through my mind. There's going to be at least a couple of hours travelling plus the time at Falkirk. OK, the days are very long in June but the opening hours of visitor attractions aren't necessarily so !