Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Travel

Notices

Scotland Itinerary - Thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12th April 2012, 23:04

Inverness & Small Islands

For Inverness, check out the Royal Highlander, which is where we stayed. It was lovely, old-world, nice rooms/beds, clean and decent buffet breakfast. Plus, live music just down the street. The Royal Highland Hotel at
Inverness hotels Highlands Scotland, hotels in Inverness Loch Ness Scottish highlands, Inverness hotel accommodation

Meanwhile, browse the Cal Mac ferry website for more information on what islands you can visit and suggested tour routes. Official Caledonian MacBrayne Hebridean & Clyde Ferries site
Official Caledonian MacBrayne Hebridean & Clyde Ferries site

We spent one entire day going from Ft William to Mallaig (train) to Skye and back. Beyond enjoying lunch in Portree, we didn't go around the rest of the island. We spent another entire day touring the "small islands" (Eigg, Muck, Rum and Canna). However, if I had a do over, I would have liked to see Mull & Iona. . .the latter island has an historic monastery where monks created the Book of Kells. Anyway, check out the website. I'd attach a photo or two but cannot figure out how.
Old 24th April 2012, 15:14

updated!

OK, after much deliberation and discussion with all of you, I think we've decided to cancel our Ireland portion and just keep it real in Scotland for the whole 10 days.

Let me know your thoughts!!

• DAY 1 –
Glasgow sites on Thursday
Stay in Glasgow for the night

• DAY 2 –
Day trip through tour company… See Trossachs / Loch Lomond / Stirling Castle

• DAY 3 –
Glasgow day 2 (or another day trip)

• DAY 4 –
Take train (ScotRail – departs approx. every 30 mins) to Edinburgh
Hop off train to see Falkirk wheel
Stay in Edinburgh for the night

• Day 5 –
7:45AM Train from Edinburgh to Fort William (arrive at 12:44pm)
Check out Glen Nevis and ride the Gondola up to Aanoch Mor for great scenery and walking paths
Stay in Fort William for the night

• DAY 6 –
8:30AM Train from Fort William to Maillaig (arrive at 9:53) and take the ferry (CalMac) to Skye (30 mins)
Rent car for 3 days
To Do’s for the Isle of Skye (will cover over days 6-8. Open to ideas on how to break up over the 3 days!)
- Otters (right off where we enter from the bridge)
- Storr = Mountain / cliff views. Easy hike to The Old Man and the scenery at the top is breathtaking
- Quiraing
- Talisker distillery
- Skeabost = the ruins of a chapel with midevil tombstombs
- Dunvegan castle
- Sligachan = fairy pools
Stay in Portree for the night

• DAY 7 –
Continuing seeing sites mentioned above

• DAY 8 –
Continue seeing sites mentioned above

• DAY 9 –
Drive Eilean Donan Castle then pick up train to Aberdeen from Kyle of Localsh – drop off car
- Train times – 12:03 depart; 17:41 arrival (duration 5h38m)
- Train times – 14:35 depart; 19:32 arrival (duration 4h57m)
Spend night in Aberdeen

• DAY 10 –
Fly out of Aberdeen
Old 24th April 2012, 19:34
Super Moderator

Knowing Aberdeen as well as I do I would advise you to stay the night in Dyce...

The traffic from Aberdeen to the airport in Dyce is very unpredictable and often their are roadworks
which themselves can cause small accidents and therefore take more time up !!

North Anderson Drive/Mugiemoss Road roundabout is murder any time of the day !!!!!!

Quite a few reasonable hotels there.

If you are overnighting in Aberdeen where are you staying ?

You might just meet my cousin as she works in Duty Free

Suki
Old 25th April 2012, 13:04

I posted this in your other topic, but will post it here too...

lgalopin, in my opinion you are trying to do too much in too short a space of time. As has already been hinted at, even the time you have set aside for Edinburgh isn't enough... you would be just as well giving it (and the Falkirk Wheel) a miss and spend more time in the Glasgow area! The same goes for the Trossachs/Loch Lomond and Stirling Castle; each of these need a separate day to do them justice!

As for a choice between Oban and Fort William on the train, I'd go for the latter... and while I might be tempted to head west to Mallaig, a trip over to Skye is a bit much; again you have enough to do without adding more travelling and not giving yourself time to actually appreciate anything!

Still, its your holiday so its up to you what you end up doing!
Old 25th April 2012, 21:55

Your Itinerary #3

I think you will enjoy this itinerary and that you have come a long ways toward making a doable plan! While some will argue you still need to spend more time in one spot or another, I think you'll get everything you need from this trip and if you miss something or wish you'd have spent more time in one city, go back again next year or the year after! We did a GoAhead Tour in 2008 to Scotland, spending 3 nights in Edinburgh, 2 nights in Inverness, 2 nights in Glencoe, 1 night in Glasgow, and of course, we only got a "taste" of Scotland. . . so that's why we went back in 2009 and stayed the entire trip on the west coast. Don't worry too much what anyone else thinks. You and your boyfriend will have a wonderful time and many brilliant memories.
Old 25th April 2012, 23:51

simpler times, your idea of a doable plan and that of others are obviously two different things... and yet it is in total contrast to your own, quite sensible "3 days here/2 days there/etc" holiday you had back whenever it was!

Too many people come to Scotland and try to see as much of the country as possible in a short space of time, but don't realise how much they won't see other than out a window of a train/bus/car window! lgalopin, I do believe you need to cut your plans down a wee bit more and what's more I am suggesting that from my own experience - not only from my many years of travelling around Scotland, but also from a trip me and members of my family took to Northern Ireland a few years ago; during that trip we started of with a very busy schedule (much like the one you have been working on here) and yet the reality is we only did a fraction of what we had planned!

As I said before, its your holiday so its up to you what you end up doing... it may be doable, but will it be enjoyable or feel rushed?
Old 26th April 2012, 05:56
Super Moderator

Some good advice I was given: You CAN NOT see it all in one trip, so see a bit. Spend quality time and just plan return to see some more later.

If I had this amount of time, I'd stay in some place like Edinburgh area and day trip around, focusing on an area rather than trying to go everywhere.

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!