Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Travel

Notices

Where to see Highland Cows??

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24th July 2007, 14:40

Where to see Highland Cows??

Hi all,

I have an intern working with me just now from Germany, and she would like to see some Highland cattle up close.

Can anyone suggest a farm or visitor centre near-ish to Edinburgh and reachable by public transport that has a herd of heilan coos?

Cheers,

kate
Old 24th July 2007, 15:35

There used to be a wee herd just up past Duddingston Loch. And I know there are lots outside Edinburgh - I've seen them looking over fences near Haddington and Prestonpans... but I don't know the name of the farms, sorry!
Old 24th July 2007, 16:03

Cheers for that, Polwarth! I knew someone here would be able to help.
Old 24th July 2007, 16:44

Kate
I asked a friend - he suggested The Highland Cattle Society - he thinks it's based in Dumfriesshire - but have to confess I didn't bother to go looking!
Here's the website - they claim to have a database, so you might be able to find herds near Edinburgh via this link:

The Highland Cattle Society
Old 24th July 2007, 17:28

Well, there's a fun day of lots of "cows with handlebars" on 29th September in Glasgow,

The Highland Cattle Society City of Glasgow International Highland Cattle Show

but with the link to the Society, you are absolutely bound to find some. Wouldn't any of the public parks keep a herd, (considering the things are SUCH great amusement to take a dog to see on a walk in a park)? Heheh. Well, dogs or visitors,

Ahah, second thoughts, of course the Highland Cattle Society itself turns out to have a wee message board. Highland Cattle Society Forum

That must be a good place to ask where there are some convenient for you to go to see. Have fun.
Old 24th July 2007, 21:07

Almost every National Trust for Scotland country property & country park seems to have its resident highland coo.

Similarly, with the rise in popularity of the meat again, many farms keep a small number & you can buy cuts at the regular farmers market in Dundee for certain.

Simply go for a drive, you will see a few.
Old 24th July 2007, 22:04

Ah, Mr. Pogofish, but she specified public transport. Obviously not a lady who is going to go for a drive just to see some coos with handlebars when there must be some nearer Edinburgh, thus saving our environment etc.

Or perhaps KateKidd isn't happy about driving on the right side of the road yet. By which I mean the left side, of course.

I've just remembered, with some friends, I passed a field of Hielan cattle in a field in Sussex ages ago, and one of my friends yelled out "oh, look, buffalo!" The stupid eejit had actually lived in Scotland for a few years before that but he somehow still managed to imagine that Highland cattle were buffalo. Yes, we laughed.

Oh well, I don't doubt that Katekidd will find some good cattle for the German intern. I suppose it would be uncouth to remark that I thought we had stopped interning German people ages ago? Yes, thought so. I'll be off then.