Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Travel

Notices

Need travel tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29th July 2000, 04:35

Talking

WOW! I really didn't expect to get so much help from so many nice people. I really appreciate all the great tips from everyone. You all have been so helpful and I know I will be able to go with more confidence than when I first started planning my trip. Any more advice out there? I am counting the days until September 22.
Thanks loads everyone!!!!!
AnnieP
Old 29th July 2000, 22:12

Talking

Good call on the water & chapstick! (Those long flights are so dehydrating). Also the idea about a journal is great! I even just wrote notes in the cover of my Eyewitness Book Guide cover about where we had been or who we met etc. each day. I also tend to bring a large envelope or manilla folder or something to easily throw all those brochures, flyers, postcards, ticket stubs etc. that you pick up so they are concentrated in one place. (You will really appreciate that for when you come back home and want to add some of the material to your photo album).
Old 1st August 2000, 04:54

Talking

I've been reading all the great advice for travel in Scotland. My husband and I are planning our first trip there next June. Can anyone give us some hints on the weather that time of year? Also, we're traveling with a tour from AAA. Any special tips? Thanks for any help!
Old 4th November 2000, 16:57

Talking

Hello everyone! First of all, I would like to thank everyone for their great tips. They came in very handy on my trip. Scotland is the most beautiful place I have ever seen and I didn't ever want to come back! I love it there!!! I am going to try very hard to make another trip before I leave this old world. I had the best time of my life and learned many interesting things. One little tip for those planning a trip, please take a wash cloth since no one has them over there, not even the hotels. I guess if you asked for one they would provide it but it is best to take one along just in case. I will probably think of more tips of my own later and try to get some of my pictures posted when I get time. Thanks again everyone!
Annie the Wild Scottish Lassie
Old 7th November 2000, 19:59

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Two Socks:
I've been reading all the great advice for travel in Scotland. My husband and I are planning our first trip there next June. Can anyone give us some hints on the weather that time of year? Also, we're traveling with a tour from AAA. Any special tips? Thanks for any help!
Old 7th November 2000, 20:14

Talking

OK, let's try that again (sent reply by accident without actually replying!) - Scotland should be beautiful in June - warm, and mostly sunny.But always be prepared for a gentle rain and chilly days/nights. Learn as much as you can about Scottish history before you go - it's a tremendous help in appreciating all that you'll be seeing. If you're traveling with a group, my best advice is, try to get away from the group and wander lanes, villages, etc., away from the standard tourist stops. Groups are great for covering a lot of ground and seeing things you might not have been able to see otherwise, but you miss the lovely details. My husband and I have traveled all over Scotland, six times in the past 15 years, happily and successfully on our own each time. Avoid those trips to the "authentic" woolen mills and the quaint gift shops. And avoid at all costs the "Taste of Scotland" dinners, especially those that come with entertainment. Go for pub meals(not the pubs written up in the travel books) for a real taste of Scotland. And, yes, definitely do try haggis(taste it before you ask what it's made from). For a genteel treat, have full afternoon tea at the Balmoral Hotel in Edinburgh. Enjoy! Celebrate the differences and don't complain because it's not like home! Scotland is wonderful.
Quote:
Originally posted by Two Socks: