Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Travel

Notices

Need travel tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2nd July 2000, 22:03

Talking

Cool Annie! Glad the tips may be of some help.
One thing I forgot to mention regarding appliances and an adapter plug is that with just the plug you must make sure your appliances are dual voltage. (120/240 volt)
Most appliances have a simple switch to turn the item to the proper voltage.
Old 10th July 2000, 09:52

Talking

Hi Annie,
One other somewhat important piece of advice. If you have prescription pills put them in your carry-on baggage. Also, keep the pills in the original prescription bottles that they are issued in. Since "drugs" are looked for regularly if you show the proper prescription for each drug the fed's certainly appreciate it, (and you will too moving through customs smoothly...)
Old 13th July 2000, 10:58
drummy

Talking

[quote]Originally posted by Neil Caple:
[b]Good call about crossing the road oh faithful Scottie! It confuses me far more than driving when I travel.

As a Scot (resident in Scotland) almost anywhere I travel overseas involves the joys of traffic on the 'wrong' side of the road. I have developed the habit of stopping, letting instinct allow me to look the way I'd normally look, then looking the opposite way as well. Anyway, it's easier to cross at a crossing point. We don't have 'Walk' 'Don't Walk' signs, just a little green walking figure for 'cross' and a red standing figure for 'wait'. If yo happen to have poor eyesight most crossing have an audible signal which alerts you to when it's safe to cross.

I guess you will have a return flight booked, but if you haven't then do so. A friend of mine arriving from the US on an extended visit hadn't bothered to book a return flight as she wasn't sure when she would be returning. She got to know the immigration officials very well indeed by the time they cleared her to enter the country 4 hours after her flight touched down!

have a good stay.

Drummy
Old 16th July 2000, 20:05

Talking

Hi again!

Thanks to you all for the good advice. I do have a return flight booked and copies of my prescriptions as well as the bottles. I want my entry and exit through Customs to be as smooth as possible so I really appreciate your tips! You are a BIG HELP! Any more things you can think of--just let me know!

Counting the days!
Annie the Loony Librarian
Old 17th July 2000, 20:47

Talking

In restaurants, look on the menu and/or your check to see if "Service" is included. That means that the tip is already added to your bill. Tip more only for truly extraordinary service.
Old 17th July 2000, 23:45

Talking

What fun reading all this advice. You might want to consider bringing a travel journal with you. You probably won't write in it every day, but it's amazing what memories a few notes will bring back. Also, a glue stick will let you paste in all those lovely B&B cards so you don't lose track of them in the bottom of your suitcase. Pack Light! FYI for overseas travel in the US its recommended that you arrive two hours prior to departure. Bring a good book. Also, take along a bottle of water for the flight over. The flight attendants are helpful, but it's easier to reach down for your own bottle in the middle of the night than ring for assistance. Have a wonderful trip.
Old 18th July 2000, 21:03

Talking

If you'll be claiming VAT refunds on goods you've purchased, keep the receipts AND the goods handy so you don't have to dig through your luggage to find them if you actually have to show them at the airport!

Keep your luggage light - stick to a couple of basic, neutral colors(like beige, black and white) that all go together and can make up lots of different outfits - you won't need so many shoes and accessories that way, either!

Black dresses and skirts are very popular in cities like Edinburgh.

One more little hint - take Chapstik, or some kind of moisturizer for your lips, on the plane - the air is terribly dry.

Have a great trip!

[This message has been edited by Ellen Rankin (edited 18 July 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ellen Rankin (edited 18 July 2000).]