Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Travel

Notices

how does 1 retire to Scotland from the US?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 30th January 2003, 19:01

Lightbulb

A few Years Back, I ran into some (internet) info about Americans who really enjoyed living in an 'American retirement community' in Scotland. It was represented as affordable, beautiful and do-able. Would anyone have any ideas about this type of area or community? Thanks. My wife and I are just investigating the possibilities, and Scotland is at or near the top.
Old 30th January 2003, 23:37

Hello there, FWF

I'm sorry, but I haven't heard of any 'retirement community for Americans' in Scotland. BUT, that is not to say that such a community does not exist!

I suggest you check with the Home Offic website to see whether you would qualify for a residency visa here in the UK. The rules are quite strict, but if you do qualify, I wish you well in your attempts to come over here.

Do you know where in Scotland the 'American retirement Community' might be based? If you do, there are enough of us 'natives' who might be able to find out more details for you.
Old 31st January 2003, 05:04

Cool no real information, other than

a few years ago, I saw a show, I am thinking it was some news-magazine, such as '60 minutes', that described an American 'colony' that was going strong in Scotland, and went on to talk about the relativly low overall costs involved, like $50K USD for the purchase of a small home, and $7-10K per year to live quietly.
Old 31st January 2003, 17:20

Exclamation good luck

Fred, was that few years back, say 10, 15, 20 ?? You do deserve high marks for hoping. But might have to change your nic to free-loading-F.

Am pretty sure the Scots would be a bit jealous of the arrangements you ask about, but do wish you luck. cheers
Old 1st February 2003, 01:50

Hmmmmm

FWF
Those sums you mention seem to be very, very low indeed!

If you can find a house in Scotland for that kind of money, it must either be in great need of repair/renovation and/or be extremely remote!

I'm from Edinburgh, and our house prices are almost in line with SE England/London areas.

As for trying to live on 7-10K dollars.... Not if you want to eat! Utilities, local taxes etc would probably take a very, very large chunk of that money.... food would be a luxury! And believe me, the cold weather we get means that you would be extremely reliant on heating the home for probably 5-7 months of the year.

As I said, if you could remember any details of that report, some of the Scots here might be able to find out more information for you.
Old 3rd February 2003, 08:16

Unhappy freeloadin? Not in YOUR lifetime

So, it appears that the numbers I have mentioned are more 'historical' than anything. How much, then, would it take to buy a 2 bedroom home that was in need of NO or very little repair, in an area that is peaceful, and an easy journey to shopping, and cultural 'things to do'? (Music, Arts, Theatre.....etc.)perhaps on a small bit of land?
Old 3rd February 2003, 10:44

FWF - here's a couple of sites which may interest you

Here's a site which explains the Scottish system of house purchase. Remember, Scotland has a different and distinct legal system from England and Wales.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/library3/housing/gthp-00.asp

Here's an estate agency website. Click on the Edinburgh area (my home town) and you'll get an idea of some of the property prices. The site also claims to cover the Borders area - although I didn't bother to have a look. The Edinburgh properties quoted are quite expensive!

http://www.themovechannel.co.uk/east.../edinburgh.asp

[Edited by Polwarth on 3rd February 2003 at 10:09]