Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Sport

Notices

What future - Scottish football ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22nd December 2013, 04:17

What future - Scottish football ?

Has Scottish football sunk too far to recover or is it a big bad patch ?

Celtic winning all major domestic prizes, unrivalled, for the next ten years or more just seems to be pointless to me, especially when all the back-patting goes horribly wrong when facing decent European opposition. With Rangers out of it, was that a good thing or does it give a false impression of Celtic's prowess ? As for Hearts, it's a pathetic situation they've found themselves in and I believe not good for Scottish football. At least they provided competition for the Auld Firm !

So where's all this going ?

What about the ongoing demise of Scotland's national team (who always punched above its weight but at least we won some decent games in the past !)
Old 22nd December 2013, 16:08

celtic have been far from winning every domestic trophy mate and they only got pumped in europe this year because they where in the hardest group.
they got to the last 16 last year mind but i doubt many team (even in europe) could have got through this year group safely.

the rangers not being there isnt making much difference really and no doubt theyl be back soon enough....although to what degree is anyone's guess given their board said last week when they get back to the premier league theyl have less money to spend than they did in the 3rd division...dunno how that will work.

as for the national side, they where chronic at the start of this world cup campaign but i think that was down to the manager cause as soon as he was replaced the results started coming in again.

it comes and goes with most teams really, even in the epl your man u's are struggling all of a sudden.

the last time celtic played hearts, celtic won 7-0(i think) but when they played yesterday they only won 2-0 so even theyre improving a bit.

we do definitely do punch above our weight when it comes to world football tho, always have and i dont see it changing much.
Old 25th December 2013, 18:14

I don't see Celtic being unchallenged for the next ten years - another two seasons and Rangers might be back in the top league and with sponsorship deals and capacity crowds at Ibrox they (might) have the financial clout to challenge Celtic. Dundee United are a good example of a young team full of Scottish players and Ryan Gauld is one of the biggest homegrown talents that Scotland has produced for years - he's only 17 and rated at 2.5 million - so it's not all doom and gloom. We can still produce good young players.

- Martin Luther King Jr.