Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Sport

Notices

Rugger

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 5th September 2013, 19:25

Location: I was born in Scotland, now I am about a foot away from my monitor
Rugger

Any Celtic/Magners/Rabobank Pro fans in here?
Old 11th December 2013, 19:45

As someone from the North of England I prefer Rugby League - the second most brutal sport on the planet after boxing - to that poncy, posh, stop-start-stop-start Rugby Union that they play in Scotland, Wales, Ireland and down south. Give me the Salford Red Devils, the Wakefield Trinity Wildcats or the Wigan Warriors over Gloucester, Bath, Worcester, Edinburgh or Toulon any day of the week. Rugby League is the summer national sport of Northern England.

I still haven't got over the terrible depression I felt after England, who were leading the holders New Zealand 18-14 in the final minute of the Semi-Final of the recent Rugby League World Cup, suddenly conceded a converted try in the last seconds of the match, causing me to have to suddenly drop my celebrations of having almost reached the Final. The try made it 18-18, with the conversion coming after the 80 minutes were up. It was literally the last kick of normal time - score, and New Zealand win. Miss, and the match goes to extra time. Unfortunately, the jammie Kiwis scored the conversion. Talk about gutting.

Old 13th December 2013, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastLazyGun View Post
As someone from the North of England I prefer Rugby League - the second most brutal sport on the planet after boxing - to that poncy, posh, stop-start-stop-start Rugby Union
is rugby league not the one that stops and starts?

id have thought rugby union was a more rougher sport
Old 16th December 2013, 13:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tig View Post
is rugby league not the one that stops and starts?

id have thought rugby union was a more rougher sport
Rugby Union is the one that stops and starts. Even football is more stop-start than Rugby League.

When the poorer Northern teams broke away from the RFU in 1895 over a dispute with the wealthy Southern teams over pay, they formed their own league under the same rules. But very quickly they decided to create their own rules and make a brand of rugby that was quicker, most fast-faced and more exciting than that played in the South. Rugby League was born.

Rugby League is definitely more brutal than Union. It's considered to be the second-most brutal sport after boxing.
Old 16th December 2013, 13:59

RL has come a long way since I used to watch it on TV back in the 1960's. My enduring memory, just before being called by my Mum to have my tea on a late Saturday afternoon in winter, would be the wrestling with Kent Walton and the RL with the late, great Eddie "Up and Under" Waring. Hull Kingston Rovers, Warrington, Leeds, St Helens, Featherstone Rovers - just to name a few - no Fulham in those days !

Looking back, it used to be like WW1 played in a field. The pitch would be a complete sea of splashy mud and both teams would start out in pristine kit and in short order the forwards of both teams would look exactly the same, coated in mud from head to foot. On days like that, with the cold rain chucking it down and the steam rising from the heaving scrums under the floodlights, repeated attempts to run and break the line would be stopped and the inevitable back-heel routine carried out until one too many meant a scrum. Again and again and again, like Passchendaele with shorts and a ball !

I always thought League had the potential to be much more open than RU but the miserable winter conditions they had to play under reduced it to attrition, swamped by the mud.

But in good spring weather and a nice green pitch, RL looked much more stylish and fast. RL players also found success when crossing over to RU.