Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Sport

Notices

Is this suppose to be Gold?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28th February 2012, 18:01

As far as I can tell, the current home strip for the Scottish rugby team is influenced by the soccer one.

Rugby league does get played here, just not much. It's lost its unique selling point, since RU went professional (not that it's doing that well in Scotland)

(Two can play at George Orwell quotes)
"In this country I don’t think it is enough realized—I myself had no idea of it until a few years ago—that Scotland has a case against England."
Old 29th February 2012, 06:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish_Republican View Post
As far as I can tell, the current home strip for the Scottish rugby team is influenced by the soccer one.
Thanks for that. I was hoping that there was some national relevance to the colour, like the Navy Blue, to the gold. I like National teams wearing national colours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish_Republican View Post
Rugby league does get played here, just not much. It's lost its unique selling point, since RU went professional (not that it's doing that well in Scotland)
Yeah I know. It has a pretty solid set up in the juniors but needs more money and marketing to get a real foothold in Scotland. Hopefully it will happen one day. There seems to be a market for the faster form of Rugby in Scotland with crowds of over 60,000 attending Challenge Cup finals there and over 30,000 at some magic weekends.
Old 29th February 2012, 19:17

Rugby's problems in Scotland basically come down to the following:

* Bad management and organisation, and some old fashioned ideas.
* The class issue. Scots from many different backgrounds play it but the SRU has done little or nothing to subvert the private school cliche.
* The overdominance/blanket coverage of association football in Scotland stifles every other sport.
* Turn out for internationals is good, but turn out for non-international games is moderate. The Glasgow and Edinburgh professional sides manage to turn out reasonable crowds, but little else does.

There is a fairly lively sevens culture in many parts of Scotland though.

(Two can play at George Orwell quotes)
"In this country I don’t think it is enough realized—I myself had no idea of it until a few years ago—that Scotland has a case against England."