Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Sport

Notices

why is it that scots are such a failure at sport ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19th March 2004, 17:52

Send a message via AIM to druid1616 Send a message via MSN to druid1616
lack of

if u wear ur kilts duing your sports it could be from lack of support as for the rugby you all kill each others nuts! im a gurl an i hurt! im surpised half you men can still do what men love to do
Old 22nd March 2004, 15:22

Maybe if the media took away some of the focus on Rugby and Football and spread it about more then we would see out achievements.

People in Scotland only really seem interested in Rangers or Celtic. Its often the first question you get asked when meeting someone for the first time.

I play a minority sport in American Football and even something as easy to do as give our games a mention on the Sports news seems almost impossible to achieve.

Maybe if we got behind the local teams and not so much the big 2 we would see the sport of football grow again.
Old 22nd March 2004, 16:03

I totaly agree andy...

the fact that everyone concentrates so much on the "big 2" has ruined much of the football in scotland... and even myself as a supporter of one of the big two...I have thought that for a long time...even just the attitude of fellow fans when we go away to play another team..they moan about the bad grounds we are visiting...its pretty shocking really..its like no-ones happy unless we are playing the other "1" or someone in europe..I think it would in the long term be better for Scottish football if the two teams joined the premiership..

American Football along with a few other sports definatly deserve far more interest than they are presently given
Old 22nd March 2004, 16:31

I'm trying with all my effort to get my team in the spotlight this season, but its so difficult because its not what people want to read about or listen to on the radio. And then the dreaded "amature" title of our game puts everyone off even more when we are in a very well organised and run British League. The only reason its "amature" is because there is no money in the sport.

Sports Scotland doesnt even recognise us as a sport.

I have applied for the tallented athlete lottery money thing and American Football isnt on their list of sports. Playing for Great Britian, being team captain and getting Most Valuable Player awards isnt good enough. How can that help sport?
Old 22nd March 2004, 21:43

wut about if u

have some american donators donate some of there money to you i'd be happy to but i'd have to get a job 1st then you would have money wut exactly have you done to advertise it?
oh by the way wut position do you guys play (if ur on a team ) i was tackle until you damn dudes got so big!
Old 22nd March 2004, 22:03

How can we get American Donators to donate money??? We dont know any. I have put a "sponsor an area" picture together to encourage people to sponsor us and see what their getting. But i am recieving the standard "we have spent our budget" response. I normally reply asking when the best time to apply is. Then they dont reply.

I have got in contact with every local media source i can find. about 5 radio stations, and coutless newspapers.

The only people so far to take us up are the Daily Record who will include stories in their wednesday pullout section, with the possibility of a picture if they have space.

I'm just going to persivere and keep sending out game reports and match previews to everyone in the hope they will run them, or at least get back in touch with me.

I have also contacted the Scottish Rocks basketball team to see how they went about becoming professional. I hope that will help to stear us in the right direction.

Edit - I play LB/DE i'm not that big though 6-2 220lbs.
Old 23rd March 2004, 22:20

ur insane

andymack your insane well to me not huge my ass
sept could be i only find you a giant cu zim ma gurl but still.... thats reallly big!