Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Society > Scottish Politics

Notices

Billy Connolly`s take on the SNP

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20th February 2005, 18:17

“Braveheart is pure Australian s***e…William Wallace was a spy, a thief, a blackmailer – a c**t basically. And people are swallowing it. It’s part of a new Scottish racism, which I loath – this thing that everything horrible is English. It’s conducted by the great unread and the conceited w***ers at the SNP, those dreary little pr**ks in Parliament who rely on bigotry for support” - Billy Connolly, Scottish Comedian

Old 20th February 2005, 18:45

Billy Connolly is a Unionist tw@t. I don't agree much with the film - it's poor historically and having Wallace played by an Australian dwarf wouldn't have been my choice. But to label one of the two main heroes of the Wars of Independence what he did...

Says it all about a terribly unfunny has-been, really.
Old 20th February 2005, 19:06

Judged by the standards of his contemporaries,which of course are the only standards he should be judged by,Wallace was no more of a "spy, a thief, a blackmailer – a c**t" than anyone else,so that is hardly a blot on his reputation.Who cares about his character or integrity-he hammered the English and laid the foundations for Scottish independence which is all that matters.
Old 20th February 2005, 19:11

Whilst I don't approve of the way he's phrased his comments - when does swearing ever help an argument? - he does make one good point; Braveheart was rabidly anti-English almost to the point of downright racism and couldn't have helped English-Scottish relations one bit. It is bigotry, and very apparent at that.
Old 20th February 2005, 19:45

Quote:
Originally posted by Hirta
Whilst I don't approve of the way he's phrased his comments - when does swearing ever help an argument? - he does make one good point; Braveheart was rabidly anti-English almost to the point of downright racism and couldn't have helped English-Scottish relations one bit. It is bigotry, and very apparent at that.

Hollywood movies always have good guys and bad guys. Braveheart was no more rabidly anti-bad guy than any other Hollywood movie I have seen. I thought it was entertaining if nothing else. If the English got the role as bad guy for once instead of the Indians, Germans, Commies then tough.
Old 20th February 2005, 20:36

Quote:
Originally posted by nogginthenog
Hollywood movies always have good guys and bad guys. Braveheart was no more rabidly anti-bad guy than any other Hollywood movie I have seen. I thought it was entertaining if nothing else. If the English got the role as bad guy for once instead of the Indians, Germans, Commies then tough.
Oh dear, you really do need to see the film again! I've got an idea - pretend you're English when watching it. By the end you'll have a good idea of quite how racist the film is.

I'm puzzled by your last "point". Traditionally the bad guys in Hollywood films are English, or at least have English accents no matter what nationality is being portrayed. Again, watch some films and this will become apparent quite quickly.

Here's an article I found just now on the net:

http://www.jonathanforeman.com/movies/casting.html
Old 20th February 2005, 22:25

Braveheart was rabidly anti-English.

King Edward I got a very sympathetic portrail. For a psychopath. Henry VIII wasn't like that, was he too?