Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Open Board > Scotland Dot C*m*on Inn

Notices

Curious?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:46

Curious?

Hi all
While I understand this is an American Scots forum,
I was wondering if there is a Scottish Scots forum?
I can talk with Americans all the time but would love to
Hear how Scots think today!
I went to a Lithuanian forum yesterday, again mostly Lithuanian-Americans
With some Lithuanian members and was surprised how much they disliked the French and English. Lol, I thought it was just the Irish and Scots!
Ah, I love to learn!
Old 3rd May 2012, 22:22

I can think of a Scottish forum that's run by Scots and has a large percentage of Scottish members... but there are quite a few Americans there too as well as English, Dutch, Belgian, etc! Alternatively you could look for Scotland Forum on Google and see what comes up; you could try Scottish Forum too, but that seems to bring back a lot of rugby and football forums!
Old 3rd May 2012, 22:40

Most of the 'Scots-majority' site that I know are not that welcoming to those who are not from our homeland.
Please do not assume that any underlined links in my posts are MY recommendations. They are not. It is this American site taking advantage of members' posts about Scotland to boost their advertising revenue.
Old 4th May 2012, 00:44

Curious

Thanks, I laughed at your response. My mother told me pretty much the
same. Her grappa and gramma were pure Scots and they were pretty closed.
I guess I will just have to go and let my shining personality break through!
Old 4th May 2012, 04:55
Quarantined Users

A forum called Our Scotland may be an actual Scottish one ,
but then again .....
It is loaded with topics worth reading
Old 5th May 2012, 05:12

there's always the Black Watch Forum, Royal Highland Fusiliers Forum and then there's the Glasgow Forum. There's another forum whose name I forget when I ended up in the Bellshill section That was okay, cos long time ago (1980) I went out with Marietta Smart from *Mossend Cross

Kintyre Forum is nice, the folk there are mostly from the area.

* So here I was, this wee Edinburgh/Musselburgh East of Scotland poofter dressed as a Mod visiting my Modette from Mossend. That night we met her friends in a Motherwell pub near the Ravenscraig steelworks (maybe not but it seemed like it). One of her pals was a huge bouncer. They treated me really well, like a fragile doll in fact and an item of curiosity. They passed around the Bank of England fiver I produced like it was some odd curio. (I felt I might have committed some great faux-pas but all was well). Afterward, we were all walking back to someone's house which entailed going along a long straight road below the steelworks with a council scheme on the left and open "waste-grund" on the right. We were on the right-side pavement, waste-grund on the right. Marietta and I were out a few yards in front. The only building on our side was a chip-shop. There was a crowd of guys hanging around outside it, in a group. When one of them look toward us and noticed a stranger (me) in the distance, they formed a line across the pavement, facing us. I knew what was coming. I wanted to run into the scheme, but I would have been a rat in a trap. So I kept walking, trying to stay cool. I didn't want to seem like a coward to Marietta's pals, so I just kept walking - to my impending doom. I thought "Just tough it out, bluff and maybe it will be okay - maybe crack a joke to get out of trouble" but I knew I was about to get the kicking of my life (if I would still have one). If I had to fight, okay, but i would be slaughtered ! Then, just as we were about 30 or so yards from them, the big bouncer guy stepped up and went in front of us. The gang obviously knew him when he appeared under the lamplight, because they suddenly melted away and made a path. Ya beauty ! I was so grateful to be alive I would have become his bi*ch !

After the house-party, the two of us walked down the short distance to her sister's house where she lived and she told me that one night she was followed by a skinhead. Now Marietta was petite, about 5' 2" in her Mary Quant granny shoes, had short black hair, nice tanned look and Dusty Springfield/Twiggy "doll" make-up. She was really pretty (her mum was Spanish). So anyway, one night this skinhead follows her along her road and then she hears his Doc Martens speed up and coming behind her. She bided her time and when there was a gap in the running (which she took to mean the skin was going to take a big kick at her), she swung round and did an uppercut with her brolly. It caught him square in the tuppenny walls and travelled up with enough force to break his nose. Attack over ! She said to me that the guy should have been ashamed as "I'm just a wee helpless lassie". As she also put it though "I pit his lights oot !"
Old 5th May 2012, 23:18
Quarantined Users

Marietta now posts from the Black Watch