Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Open Board > Scotland Dot C*m*on Inn

Notices

Questions About Scotland

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21st January 2011, 13:33

Duthill,
you say, and I quote: “You always get smacked around” Quite

The difference is that I can take it. I can give as good as I get, better even. I don’t go whining to Admin for protection.

This thread is a prime example of your observation:

Post # 1--- Blackjack requests answers to a list of questions and gives a brief explanation of his reason for asking.

Post # 2--- Tig responds with his opinions/observations/details. Personal, and with all due respect, not applicable to the generality of the population of Scotland.

Post # 3--- Blackjack thanks Tig.

Post # 4--- “Ms Brody” obviously way past her prime, corrects a spelling error with a grammatical/literacy one.

Post # 5--- I respond, injecting my idea of humour. Thus far Blackjack did not divulge very much about himself, and considering all the fakes around these days, Chiefs, etc, one can’t be too careful.

Post # 6--- Tig, indicates that he was amused.

Post # 7--- Blackjack, thanks again.

So far so good, amicable enough exchanges, but hardly a conversation.

Post # 8--- Your contribution, off topic, just slapping me around. Where are all those members who “will gladly assist”? Like the next bus, they’ll be along shortly? He’ll have left school before then. He seems to have been unable to get anyone to talk. If he had expressed an interest in Highland/Gaelic culture there would have been a deluge of reproaches.

Admin seems to be selective in who they caution and sanction. Every member who actually genuinely knows and comes from a Gaelic background and culture, or anyone expressing an interest, is discriminated against, mocked, insulted, abused and “smacked around”, and are eventually silenced and driven away, while the little lapdogs, the pets, can do no wrong.

I shall continue to resist discrimination and injustice and personal attacks until the ultimate sanction is imposed on me. Anyone who dishes out dirty tricks, abuse, “smacking” etc, will get the same treatment in return with bells on. Whether you use “smacking about” or, God forbid, intellectual argument, you are a novice, a pushover.

I was determined to silence Seamus the linguist and to stop his shenanigans all over the place, because he was making a mockery of the Gaelic language. Several of you had been trying for days, if not weeks, without success. I think that I have succeeded in this, he seems to have decided to desist, it was my main reason for getting active over the past few day.

If you are the only opposition there is, no contest, and no point in me wasting my time on you. You may resume “self smacking” again, a practice, at least, where you are not a nuisance to anyone else.

Last edited by Crofter; 21st January 2011 at 13:50.
Old 21st January 2011, 16:03
Quarantined Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crofter View Post
Duthill,
you say, and I quote: “You always get smacked around” Quite

The difference is that I can take it. I can give as good as I get, better even. I don’t go whining to Admin for protection........

Admin seems to be selective in who they caution and sanction. Every member who actually genuinely knows and comes from a Gaelic background and culture, or anyone expressing an interest, is discriminated against, mocked, insulted, abused and “smacked around”, and are eventually silenced and driven away, while the little lapdogs, the pets, can do no wrong.

I shall continue to resist discrimination and injustice and personal attacks until the ultimate sanction is imposed on me. Anyone who dishes out dirty tricks, abuse, “smacking” etc, will get the same treatment in return with bells on. Whether you use “smacking about” or, God forbid, intellectual argument, you are a novice, a pushover.

I was determined to silence Seamus the linguist and to stop his shenanigans all over the place, because he was making a mockery of the Gaelic language. Several of you had been trying for days, if not weeks, without success. I think that I have succeeded in this, he seems to have decided to desist, it was my main reason for getting active over the past few day.

If you are the only opposition there is, no contest, and no point in me wasting my time on you. You may resume “self smacking” again, a practice, at least, where you are not a nuisance to anyone else.
And after getting smacked around , you whimper .

'crofter' ,
If you were not the liar that you are you would not get treated the way that you do .
If you did not accuse members of being under the influence of mind altering substances because that they do not agree with you , you would not be held in contempt .
If you did not make a practice of dismissing people on the grounds that they do not live in an area of the world , or an area of Scotland that you consider worthy of having a voice then your own opinions might be taken seriously .
If you were not the obnoxious troll that you are , you would not be treated the way that you are by members of this community .

'petersandy , 'seamusalba' and 'auld chiel' were obnoxious trolls.

It is the prerogative of members of this community to request that the Administration of this forum remove obnoxious trolls.
Old 21st January 2011, 18:22

At the risk of taking this subject even further off-topic, I would just like to make a couple of comments. First of all, those named by Duthill as being obnoxious trolls were just that and deserved to be removed (at least as active members) from this forum. Secondly, with all due respect to you crofter, it was not due to you that one of those trolls seems to have decided to desist; the fact he is now a quarantined member (as are the other two) means he can no longer post his inane garbage. Now, as before, I would like to point out that I do not have an issue with Gaelic culture, but to have someone make out that you cannot consider yourself Scottish unless you speak the language is utter crap... and those who do just that deserve all that they get from other members of the forum! You, crofter, do display some trollish behaviour at times; in fact, I might even go as far to say that you do so more often than not... so with that in mind then is it really any surprise that you get treated the way you do? Feel free to bring this up with me in person (or at least in PM's) or in another topic if you wish!

Now, in an effort to get this topic back on track, blackjack00036 here are my answers to your questions. Please note that these questions have been answered from my own point of view or from what I have experienced while travelling around the country; I certainly do not answer on behalf of the Scottish people as a whole (no matter what part of the country they live in or what their background/ancestry is!) Anyway, here they are:

1. What is school like in Scotland? School is probably much the same as it is in other European countries; its been a few years now since I last attended, but I do have children and grandchildren going through the education system now. Anyway, we are taught a range of subjects; some useful and/or interesting, others unfortunately less so. When I was at school history mainly centred round non-Scottish topics; I won't go in to detail (this is neither the time nor place), but fortunately that is now changing!
2. What food do you usually eat? It varies; we certainly don't all eat haggis, etc tho I am partial to a bit of shortbread now and again... and again and again!
3. Do you go to Scottish festivals? Apart from going to Edinburgh during the EIF (tho only to see what's on on the Royal Mile) the answer is mostly no!
4. What are you like? Not sure what you are looking for here... do you mean appearance or nature?
5. Do you really drink so much whiskey? I very rarely drink whiskey, but I do like whisky... but it is not what I drink on a daily basis so I guess I don't drink so much tho I don't know what you really mean with this question!
6. Do Scots wear something beneath their kilts? Yes and no. Some do others don't; some who claim they don't possibly do. At the end of the day it is entirely up to the individual whether they do or not; the one time I wore a kilt I certainly did!
7. What do you do in your free time? Study Scotland!
8. What music are you listening to? Nothing at the moment (the tv is on), but when I do it varies - tho very little that you would consider to be Scottish!
9. What does your typical day look like? In the morning I get up; at night I go to bed. Beyond that I don't have a typical day!

I hope these are helpful for you!
Old 21st January 2011, 18:41

shortbread.......mmmmmmmmm.......now your talking.

i think that might be one of the few things considered "Scottish" that i really like.

oh n irn bru
Old 21st January 2011, 23:18
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tig View Post
shortbread.......mmmmmmmmm.......now your talking.

i think that might be one of the few things considered "Scottish" that i really like.

oh n irn bru
yummmmm!

Back on topic!

blackjack00036, did you get all you needed for your assignment?

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Old 22nd January 2011, 12:10

Well, it's been a long while since I was at school and even lived in Scotland, but I'll try to answer it straight to the best of my ability !

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack00036 View Post
Hi
I don't know if I'm in the right part of the forum, but i don't know where to post.
I must find out a few things about Scotland for my English homework:
1. What is school like in Scotland? At secondary school (ie high school) 1965-71, I use to start at 9.am, have a short break mid-morning, lunch would start at 12.30pm, finish at 1.30pm and school would end at 3.45pm. School was Monday-Friday, 8 periods per day. I played rugby for the school, Saturday mornings. Summer hols were start of July for 6 or 7 weeks. Our classes were segregated into boys and girls classes for the first 3 years. The national school leavers' age was 15 for those who wouldn't go further (end of 3rd year) which was raised later to 16, O Levels (GCSE's) were usually sat in 4th Year, Highers in the 5th Year and A's in the 6th and final year
2. What foold do you usually eat? Pretty omniverous !, though I'm a bit fussy about fish - I do like salmon, trout, tuna, haddock, herring though. I like prawns and lobster too and fresh oysters and scallops. I don't usually eat pork very much. I like homely food like fish pie, roast beef dinner, lentil soup etc. But I also like asian food (Japanese, Indian, Chinese, Indonesian etc), Mexican, Italian, French but not that keen on Arab food (boring). Tonight my wife's making Sweet and Sour King Prawns and Hong Kong rice. My son's training as a chef, so he likes to make interesting things for us.
3. Do you go to Scottish festivals? Not much chance these days, though there is a Caledonian Society here, I don't belong to it or go to their do's. I tend to keep away from organised do's.
4. What are you like? 57, 5'7'', overweight (see question 2 !), greying and wondering what age I'll have to work to before I can retire to SE Asia !
5. Do you really drink so much whiskey? Hardly ever touch the stuff, though I have my collection of some 52 bottles of malts, blended and American in my home bar, nearly all unopened. I might have a glass on Tuesday when we cook the haggis at home
6. Do Scots wear something beneath their kilts? Aye, anti-dandruff shampoo !
7. What do you do in your free time? Chill as much as possible, maybe eat out with the family at a smart restaurant, go to the cinema, go around the malls, burn CD's; maybe we'll camp-out overnight at the beach this Jan/Feb/March and have a barbie and vino !.
8. What music are you listening to? Right now ? '60's soul and R&B, '80's electronic music, Missy Elliot.
9. What does your typical day look like? I get up at 5.30am, leave house at 6.10, drive daughter to school, reach office at 7.00am, work, go to meetings etc, go home for lunch at 12.30, return at 1.30, work till 5.30, go home, have dinner watch telly, maybe have a glass or two of wine, help my daughter with her homework if she asks (and if it's not too hard !), go to bed about 11.00

Can you help me please? I would look up all these things by myself, but I have to print out this conversation.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Lachlan09; 22nd January 2011 at 12:50.
Old 22nd January 2011, 13:15

you drive your kid to school at 6am!!!!!!

no child abuse laws in that country then??????? lol

if i woke mine before 7 he would be on the phone to child line