Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Suggestions > Scotland.com Feedback

Notices

Administrative interference

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 1st September 2004, 20:18

Send a message via MSN to moonchaser
May I interject and offer a compromise? What if we add a new forum in the Society Section for discussion of International Politics, and leave the Politics section for discussion of Scottish Politics? Those who want nothing to do with American Politics can stay away from the International Politics section.

Just how deep do you believe?
Will you bite the hand that feeds?
Will you chew until it bleeds?
Can you get up off your knees?
Are you brave enough to see?
Do you want to change it?
--NIN 'The Hand That Feeds'
Old 1st September 2004, 20:24

Re: When a moderator locks a thread...

Quote:
Originally posted by Niquie

Please go to the BUSINESS section. What do you see there? ALL MANNER OF POSTS BY ALL MANNER OF NATIONS. Not once has any member complained that the Norwegians or the Japanese or the AMERICANS are abusing the forum because it clearly says "DISCUSS SCOTTISH BUSINESS." And those posts are clearly freeloading "members" who come here, TO SCOTLAND.COM, solely to make money for THEIR OWN BUSINESSES -- 95% of which I would guess are NOT Scottish businesses.

To compare the business section with the politics section is to compare chalk and cheese.Obviously it is appropriate for the business section to deal with business and employment opportunities overseas because members have an interest in learning about such opportunities outwith Scotland.It is a board whose primary purpose is to allow members to view business opportunities whereas the politics board is for members to discuss political issues which they feel are important.With very few exceptions the members of this forum joined because they have an interest in Scotland and it would therefore be appropriate to have a politics board which encourages discussion on Scottish political matters.
Old 1st September 2004, 20:39

Neil and Celyn

As moderators
Dont give it up.
Old 1st September 2004, 20:44
Niquie

Re: Re: When a moderator locks a thread...

Quote:
Originally posted by ANDY-J2
Quote:
Originally posted by Niquie

Please go to the BUSINESS section. What do you see there? ALL MANNER OF POSTS BY ALL MANNER OF NATIONS. Not once has any member complained that the Norwegians or the Japanese or the AMERICANS are abusing the forum because it clearly says "DISCUSS SCOTTISH BUSINESS." And those posts are clearly freeloading "members" who come here, TO SCOTLAND.COM, solely to make money for THEIR OWN BUSINESSES -- 95% of which I would guess are NOT Scottish businesses.

To compare the business section with the politics section is to compare chalk and cheese.Obviously it is appropriate for the business section to deal with business and employment opportunities overseas because members have an interest in learning about such opportunities outwith Scotland.It is a board whose primary purpose is to allow members to view business opportunities whereas the politics board is for members to discuss political issues which they feel are important.With very few exceptions the members of this forum joined because they have an interest in Scotland and it would therefore be appropriate to have a politics board which encourages discussion on Scottish political matters.
Your argument proves my point. What happens in a highly powerful nation affects the world and Scotland is part of that world.
Old 1st September 2004, 20:45
Niquie

Quote:
Originally posted by moonchaser
May I interject and offer a compromise? What if we add a new forum in the Society Section for discussion of International Politics, and leave the Politics section for discussion of Scottish Politics? Those who want nothing to do with American Politics can stay away from the International Politics section.
I am working on that comprise right now. If I can get it up and running, I will post so here.

And thank you for your input. I very much appreciate it.
Old 1st September 2004, 20:55
Niquie

I hope this proves an important point.

When the moderators and the administrator COLLECTIVELY discuss a problematic situation, a resolution will be had, and it has.

We now have an INTERNATIONAL POLITICS forum where anyone can talk about any manner of politics. POLITICS is now back to being solely about Scottish politics.

I will appoint a moderator for the new forum, but I would ask that the moderators in Scottish POLITICS MOVE threads to INTERNATIONAL when the situation warrants and append a post therein that says WHY it was moved. I do not want any member discouraged from posting.

As I said before, there is no passport required to be a member of Scotland.com and no nationality or citizenship is excluded or relegated to one certain VCI site. That is NOT VCI's policy. We have an open membership that encourages memberships from around the world and I hope it stays that way.
Old 1st September 2004, 22:58

Niquie
Now you have added the new International Politics forum - is there any chance you will move it out of the 'grouped' Scottish interest fora that were grouped together for the reasons stated in earlier threads? It seems odd to place it right in the middle of those fora which are of interest to those who are seeking information about Scotland, genealogy history and language..

For the record - I don't think any of the Scottish posters who have got a little aerated in this stooshie have any adverse feelings about American politics.... it was merely a questioning of WHY, when the specific forum was called Scots Politics, there should be so many, many threads about the American elections? Surely it is as much our democratic right as any other nation to question why they were in the Scots politics thread?

Quite frankly, although you seem to doubt it, most of us are not interested in your presidential elections.... we cannot influence them and we cannot vote.... The internal politics of a country are best left to the natives of that country.

Our time to worry is when your Government's policies affect us in Europe. Then we will comment

I hope your international politics forum is very popular - and I trust the Scots political forum flourishes, too.
Closed Thread