Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Religion and Philosophy

Notices

reincarnation

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2nd February 2002, 21:52

Smile

Ok. Someone brought up starting this thread in a different one. So I took the initiative to start it.

Reincarnation? Do you believe or not?

Some of us will swear on their lives that it happens and others will swear that those people who believe that are totally out of their minds. The ones who believe this, I feel are the ones who have experienced some type of proof. This may just be a deep gut instinct that they have lived a previous life. I believe 100% in reincarnation. I know that I have lived previous lives. I have met people in this life that I have been close to in a previous life . The only way to explain that is by saying this: Have you ever met someone for the VERY first time and you just knew you knew them. I am not saying they LOOK familiar b/c some people just have that type of face. What I am talking about is that Your SOUL knew the other persons SOUL. I have experienced this a couple of times. But the most powerful experience happened about a month ago. I was attending my first drumming circle meeting/get-together and a woman walked in the room. My back was to the door, and my soul just screamed "I KNOW YOU!!" I turned around to look at her and I have never seen this person in my life before this point. She walked by me and I got shivers all over my body, and I had this uncontrollable NEED to go up to her and say "I missed you, I am so happy to see you again. It's been so long. I am so happy we are here together." Now get this... she understood exactly what I said b/c I did go up to her and say that to her. We were pretty much in tears afterwards b/c it was such an intense feeling. WE KNEW WE KNEW EACH OTHER IN A PREVIOUS LIFE!!! And we were very close in that life.

So can any one explain that?? For those who are skeptical, this is not a lie, hoax, etc.. This happened in real life and I really don't know how else to explain "my" proof.
Old 2nd February 2002, 21:59

Thanks Heidi

Yes I know the feeling. Perhaps not as intensely as you experienced it but it definitely has happened.

Also I've experienced the feeling upon reading a description in some book about someone's style of life or the place the "story" was set in that I've been there or lived that life sort of.

I have this strong feeling that in the middle ages I was a member of a monastic society. I'm very fond of Gregorian chants for instance. The first one I heard touched me somehow.

Old 2nd February 2002, 22:33

Hi there folks!
Thanks for starting the thread,Heidi.
I keep an open mind about stories where people 'remember' past lives - it could be true,but alternative explanations could be true too.i think sometimes you do meet people who you know are 'close' to you as soon as you meet them.To me what is important is that there is a natural intimacy etc it doesn't matter to me whether we met in a past life or if it is just that we think and feel in the same way.I think you can instantly sense these things sometimes- humans are extremely communicative even before anything is 'said'.

Although I believe in reincarnation I tend towards not believing that you can 'remember' past lives.Too many cleopatras!lol You never know though.

And how much of your personality is reincarnated,given that your personality changes during your life and depends on the structure of your brain?I suppose you must find yourself 'in' a brain that is similar to your last one?Or is there a progression involved?

Old 2nd February 2002, 22:45

Heidi - But then I haven't quite had the same experience as you so I don't mean to dismiss what you said one bit.There probably are connections we can't see at the moment,I'd certainly agree with that.
Old 2nd February 2002, 23:21

Too many Cleopatras tho'(lol)

Past lives can't all be famous ones. You notice I said a monastic society not that I was Pope Gregory(LOL).

Simliar probably but progressive would be the ideal. I would think it depends on what you did in the previous life.

Old 2nd February 2002, 23:45

Send a message via Yahoo to TheLostOne
Question Past lives to this life?

Well, what about handicapped people, what do you think they did in their past lives to have their lives now? Or do you believe like the Egyptians did, that nothing from today will fall on tomorrow, because every day is a new day?
I personally believe that our paths are ever changing and by dreaming we are seeing what lay ahead, not what lay behind, but that is an entirely different subject.
I suppose then, no person is really handicapped, that is just how we describe differences from the norm.
Old 3rd February 2002, 00:00

Karma?

Maybe that's why they changed it from "handicapped" to "disabled". We should probably try to do away with labels but I guess we need to label things to try and understand them. The problem occurs when the Label has more meaning than it was intended to have.

I'm not sure I believe wholly in Karma but I do think we need to consider how our actions effect others.