Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Religion and Philosophy

Notices

The Old Ways

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10th August 2001, 22:20

To the Celts,

I thought I would start up this thread to see if there would be any interest. Some have already expressed some interest, so let's see what happens. Sorry guys and gals, if you're lookin' for "modern" philosophy, you are looking in the wrong spot. Here I will focus on the "Old Ways." The "Old Ways" tends to look deep within the heart and truly confound the wise. Besides, I had enough philosophy in school--I want something that hits home (smile).

I just started reading a book by Thomas O'Laughlin, professor for the Centre for the study of Religion in Celtic Societies, the book is entitled "Celtic Theology." Again, I was deeply disturbed, not so much by the book itself, but by his one little statement whereby he dismissed the "Old Ways." The book as a whole is pretty good. Obviously O'Loughlin is well read. But does this give anyone the right to dismiss the “Old Ways”? I don’t think so.

For those who are not familiar with the "Old Ways," let me explain. The "Old Ways" is the religion of the Celts--druidism. So powerful was/is this religion that one can even finds much of its teaching and rituals within Christianity. As this thread moves along I am sure we will talk more about its teachings and rituals.

Personally, I long for the day when the "Old Ways" will once again become the ways of the Celts.

How about you?

"Tell me all your thoughts on God, cuz I'd really like to meet her..."

I hope this is not too controversial--it shouldn't be...

Celto

[Edited by Celto on 11th August 2001 at 11:21]
Old 11th August 2001, 03:14

Yes! This should be a very interesting thread, and no - I cannot see why it should be controversial (although, should it turn out to be, it would hardly be unique in that respect).

Old 11th August 2001, 05:06

Celyn,

Thank you for your reply. I look forward to future discussions.

Celto
Old 11th August 2001, 06:58

Celto,

I remember being 17 and daring to mention God may be a "she". (The next day I remember being called an athiest! lol!)

I know I've mentioned it before but I loved Bill Moyer's book based on his interviews with Joseph Campbell in the book, "The Power of Myth". Campbell spoke of the early "nurturing" religions and the advent of male dominated religions by the "conquerors". It is very interesting to note that the Druid and other ancient sects, inspired holidays reconverted into most modern day religions. (If only most people knew...)

Once again, great to have you back!
Old 11th August 2001, 11:08

Willy,

I was hoping that you would still be here. How are you doing? In case some of you are unaware, Willy is one of the most beautiful women on the net. Truly--she is a goddess. She is not only beautiful on the outside but on the inside too. Willy, I am so happy to hear from you. Clan Gunn if I remember correctly.

I remember you telling me about Bill Moyer's book. I have yet to purchase it. But I believe he is right. I have even seen this to be true among women pastors and priestess. Those women who are connected with their own spirituality tend to be more nurturing than men. And so is it true with the Celts and their faith. What I really like about the Old Ways is that we get the best of God—both the male and female side.

You are right Willy. Isn't it amazing how so many can deny the Celtic Faith when it is so clearly expressed in our holidays? HELLO!!!

Celto
Old 11th August 2001, 14:24

Hi Celto,
I do not have much interest in Celtic theology,however I do have an interest in Celtic culture and history.I personally don't long for a return to the pre-christian religious practices of the Celts.Also I don't believe that women are in any way more spiritual than men-in fact I believe the opposite to be true.Celtic mythology makes for fascinating reading and it's good to learn about their values and attitudes but I don't believe that the adoption of anachronistic religious practices would benefit anyone.At the moment I'm reading a book called 'catastrophe'(based on a channel 4 series)which addresses the reasons why the Celts of the post Roman period were overwhelmed in a short space of time by the Germanic races and it makes a link with famine as a result of long term climatic changes which had a catastrophic effect on Celtic society.(Actually it cites a volcanic eruption as the cause of global climatic changes but I don't find this argument very convincing).This is supported by the fact that Celtic culture and language in Ireland also underwent fundamental changes at this time in spite of the lack of external interference.This period of transition from domination of the British Isles by the Celts to their marginalisation by the influx of Germanic peoples is the period which I have studied most and is one which I find fascinating.I feel the term 'Dark ages'is a misnomer as one finds a continuity and enrichment of Celtic culture which thrived in spite of the almost continuous conflict with the Anglo-Saxon invaders at this time.
Old 11th August 2001, 17:17

Andy-J

Hi! Sounds like a pretty good program series. I don’t watch much television so I guess I will miss that program as well. I look forward to talking with you. The study of the culture of the Celts is so important. I am sure I can learn a lot from you. Let me push you for just a moment: any person well versed in higher learning knows that one cannot separate religion from culture—the two go hand-in-hand. This is especially true of the Celts as is with other cultures (ex. Judaism and Islam). For this reason I think in order to be accurate in our research we must keep them together.

I think, if I understand you correctly, I would agree that I would not want to return or go back 2000 years to connect myself to the Celtic Faith. However, if one truly understands the Celtic Faith, one already understands that returning to the “Old Ways” goes against the very spiritual principals of the faith. One cannot return—one can only become. One does not create a river, one flows with the river. We need to keep in the forefront of our minds that there is a difference between “returning” and “becoming.”

I do believe the “Old Ways” has much to offer. I don’t expect everyone to agree with me--Celts don't. But one thing I can say is that the “Old Ways” has transformed my life and opened my eyes to the universe at large. It has effected the way I treat others and the way I treat Mother Earth.

“Little soul, wandering, gentle guest and companion...into what place will you go now (Hadrian)?”

Celto