Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Church of Scotland - Believe in the bible or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22nd May 2015, 18:07

Location: I was born in Scotland, now I am about a foot away from my monitor
Church of Scotland - Believe in the bible or not?

I read that the state church is to endorse a "belief in the bible" but ignore the parts that state the ministers are to be men and the husband of one wife? With congregations leaving to join the Free's do you think the state church will crumble and die due to the confusion in what they actually believe?
Old 25th May 2015, 04:21

I'm not "into" religious topics, but as far as I'm aware, the Church of Scotland (presumably Presbyterian) is not a state church. Scotland has no state church as far as I know and indeed the whole idea of introducing a state church in Scotland was instigated by King Charles I, via the Anglican church in Scotland aka Episcopalian Church (aka Piss-in-a-pail-yins) which gave political as well as religious control to the King.

The Presbyterian Scots population kicked out Archbishop Laud and his team of bishops and the resulting outrage suffered by King Charles resulted in an English Army marching North. The Scots army, full of resolve and many well-practicised fighting for King Gustavus Adolphus in the recent Thirty Years' War, showed the English the door. The King's subsequent demand for money for a second English expedition resulted in a parliamentary revolt in Westminster and the King suspending it and trying to arrest the MP's. The resulting unpleasantness became the English Civil War (aka nowadays The War of The Three Kingdoms).
Old 25th May 2015, 09:13

Quote:
the ministers are to be men and the husband of one wife?
does the bible actually say that though?
Old 26th May 2015, 17:51

The usual requirement is found in Paul's epistle to Timothy chapter 3

1st Timothy 3:1 (ESV) The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task. 2 Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, 3 not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. 4 He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive, 5 for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for Godís church? 6 He must not be a recent convert, or he may become puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil. 7 Moreover, he must be well thought of by outsiders, so that he may not fall into disgrace, into a snare of the devil.
Old 26th May 2015, 17:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachlan09 View Post
I'm not "into" religious topics, but as far as I'm aware, the Church of Scotland (presumably Presbyterian) is not a state church. Scotland has no state church as far as I know and indeed the whole idea of introducing a state church in Scotland was instigated by King Charles I, via the Anglican church in Scotland aka Episcopalian Church (aka Piss-in-a-pail-yins) which gave political as well as religious control to the King.

The Presbyterian Scots population kicked out Archbishop Laud and his team of bishops and the resulting outrage suffered by King Charles resulted in an English Army marching North. The Scots army, full of resolve and many well-practicised fighting for King Gustavus Adolphus in the recent Thirty Years' War, showed the English the door. The King's subsequent demand for money for a second English expedition resulted in a parliamentary revolt in Westminster and the King suspending it and trying to arrest the MP's. The resulting unpleasantness became the English Civil War (aka nowadays The War of The Three Kingdoms).
Thats my mistake as I thought QE II was the "Defender of the faith" and I was assuming as she went to Crathie CoS when she is up north then the Royal church was the state church as it was in England.
Old 14th June 2015, 10:05

Glenafton

What a wonderful thing is this internet. To-day I learned that Elizabeth of England is also Queen Elizabeth ii of Scotland. Up until now it has always been my belief that prior to James the vi of Scotland accepting the crown of England in 1603 that Scotland had never had a Queen Elizabeth. Since the Union of the Crowns there has only been one Elizabeth on the throne so how could she possibly be Elizabeth the Second?. Here I must use this wonderful internet and ask that some learned person explain this conundrum to me. Of course I could say that using the title of Elizabeth the Second was a deliberate insult to Scotland, but that would be a simplistic answer.
Old 15th June 2015, 04:19

Sounds like creative accounting ! I have always believed the Queen was our first Elizabeth. Perhaps the extra one has been slipped in during periods of apathy. When she was first crowned, new, shiny red pillar boxes went up all across the realm bearing the crown and cypher EIIR to replace the defunct GVIR ones. They became a target for Scottish nationalists, armed with hammer and chisel, who in the dead of night knocked a 'I' off the cypher. It became quite a thing at the time.

It also reminds me of a song of the time (sung to The Sash):-

"Nae Liz the Wan, Nae Lillibet the Twa,
Nae Liz will ever dae,
We'll mak oor land republican
In a Scottish breakaway !"