Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Religion and Philosophy

Notices

How can modern men believe in a creator God?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 5th August 2014, 18:42

Believing in any good supernatural creator entity should be quite the leap in logic, yet so many Christians admit to believing in such a good and powerful creator type God, --- even though they also often think the world has more evil than good in it.

Ancient man can be said to have lived in a world where there was as much magic as reality and Gods for every occasion. Most religions had to invent a nemesis for God, be it a Satan or a demiurge to take the blame for evil. Christianity followed the pattern for myths that was well known and established and invented Satan. That strange magical/superstitious world would explain why ancient man was foolish enough to believe in fantasy characters and creator Gods.

How would you explain that less enlightened view persisting in today’s supposedly well-educated and intelligent believer?

Regards
DL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvBxFXQy7-M
Old 6th August 2014, 11:57

Great question. But you've half-answered it yourself! Many do. Therefore they must be able to somehow.

I personally am an apatheist. I do not know everything. Therefore there may be a Creator God. Maybe there isn't. I suspect, however, that if there is, He is so far beyond my ability to comprehend that it isn't worth thinking about.

But here's food for thought. There is a massive universe around us. It came from somewhere. Who's to say that science and religion need be at polar opposites?
Old 6th August 2014, 11:58

no one with any great level of intelligence would believe that fantasy is reality so to answer your first question....no.
Old 6th August 2014, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyBoab View Post
Great question. But you've half-answered it yourself! Many do. Therefore they must be able to somehow.

I personally am an apatheist. I do not know everything. Therefore there may be a Creator God. Maybe there isn't. I suspect, however, that if there is, He is so far beyond my ability to comprehend that it isn't worth thinking about.

But here's food for thought. There is a massive universe around us. It came from somewhere. Who's to say that science and religion need be at polar opposites?
The laity are fighting with the non-believers but not the hierarchies of most major religions. They all agree with evolution and only give God the time before it.

They all have a God of the Gaps, IOW.

Proof is in how you see things.

Matthew 7:17
Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

Matthew 7:18
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

Matthew 12:33
Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.

Christians would have us think that God, the good tree, --- produced corrupt fruit.

If you believe scriptures that say God is perfect that is.

Deuteronomy 32:4
He is the Rock, his work is perfect:

Do you see anything like perfection or evolving perfection around you?

If not then the bible lies.

I see it but from nature and not some God.

Regards
DL
Old 6th August 2014, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tig View Post
no one with any great level of intelligence would believe that fantasy is reality so to answer your first question....no.
Thanks.

Regards
DL
Old 6th August 2014, 18:58

Originally posted by Gnostic Bishop

How can modern men believe in a creator God?....How would you explain that less enlightened view persisting in today’s supposedly well-educated and intelligent believer?

It's easily explained - social conditioning and biased education. When you have religious groups with a vested interest in promoting their ideology and, particularly in the US, vast amounts of wealth to use in disseminating propaganda then you end up with gullible people being brainwashed into accepting all kinds of supernatural fantasies. In secular Europe the religionist lunatic fringe is kept in check but that's not the case in the US, hence you have creationist "museums" etc. trying to drag people back into the dark ages.

- Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 6th August 2014, 19:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDY-J3 View Post
Originally posted by Gnostic Bishop

How can modern men believe in a creator God?....How would you explain that less enlightened view persisting in today’s supposedly well-educated and intelligent believer?

It's easily explained - social conditioning and biased education. When you have religious groups with a vested interest in promoting their ideology and, particularly in the US, vast amounts of wealth to use in disseminating propaganda then you end up with gullible people being brainwashed into accepting all kinds of supernatural fantasies. In secular Europe the religionist lunatic fringe is kept in check but that's not the case in the US, hence you have creationist "museums" etc. trying to drag people back into the dark ages.
Well put.

Do you think the law against fraud has a place in churches who are clearly lying, which is all of them?

Mind you I may know the answer because the law in most countries does not even go after the pedophile protecting Vatican.

If we do not care enough to protect our children's bodies, I guess we will not care about their minds.

People have forgotten their duty to each other. Shame on us all.

Regards
DL