Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Religion and Philosophy

Notices

How can modern men believe in a creator God?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12th August 2014, 17:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyBoab View Post
Now you're scraping the bottom of the barrel for an argument GB . . . .
The second century St. Clement of Alexandria wrote: "Every woman should be filled with shame by the thought that she is a woman."

The Church father Tertullian explained why women deserve their status as despised and inferior human beings:

"And do you not know that you are an Eve? The sentence of God on this sex of yours lives in this age: the guilt must of necessity live too. You are the devil's gateway: you are the unsealer of that tree: you are the first deserter of the divine law: you are she who persuaded him whom the devil was not valiant enough to attack. You destroyed so easily God's image, man. On account of your desert that is, death even the Son of God had to die."

The sixth century Christian philosopher, Boethius, wrote in The Consolation of Philosophy, "Woman is a temple built upon a sewer."

In the tenth century Odo of Cluny declared, "To embrace a woman is to embrace a sack of manure..."

St. Thomas Aquinas suggested that God had made a mistake in creating woman: "nothing [deficient] or defective should have been produced in the first establishment of things; so woman ought not to have been produced then."

Regards
DL
Old 15th September 2014, 17:50

Just read "Man's Eternal Quest" by Paramahansa Yogananda.

You believe it, you don't, then you have to explain where your consciousness came from, or perhaps where anything came from.
Old 15th September 2014, 18:14

Gnostic Bishop,

Look within yourself, question what you are, not your body which will be gone at some time, but ask who is the person asking all these questions.

Can atoms & molecules be arranged in some way to start thinking and observing and form a mind? Or can a mind create a world of material things with you in it? Ask.
Old 16th September 2014, 07:29

"How can modern men believe in a creator God?"

The answer in a word - faith.

it's not for everybody and it's a huge puzzle. Why have faith ?

Me ? Well I don't do anything religious but am still known to invoke The Almighty on those occasions where I need something a lot ! A bit selfish but I'm hedging my bets .

But when I'm driving past a mosque and I see all those people on their knees, bent over and head touching the floor and then think of the masses of people around the World showing their faith in different ways, do I think "Are they all fooling themselves, are they all deluded, are they sheep ?"

Or do I think "Am I so wonderfully adjusted in life and so switched on to steering my life in all ways and need no assistance it makes me a superior being who pities those deluded religious sheep ?" then "If I think that, I'm an arrogant SOB !"

The fact is, a lot of people need to have faith in something bigger than themselves, like an invisible big brother or superDad to lend them support. Perhaps that support cannot be measured or viewed, but they believe they're getting what they need. It doesn't have to be physical help, just the feeling of moral support. Are they all wrong to do that, to feel there is a purpose to life other than you're born, you live, you work, you play, you control everything, you get old, lose control, lose bowel control, then die - a horizontal blip on the hospital screen - never to feel anything again ? Why bother living ?

What makes me tick is for me to know but I will never criticize anymore anyone who has faith. I remember a nuclear-Bomb scientist who was so freaked out by his involvement and invention that he couldn't accept the responsibility and became a devout Roman Catholic. And he had been an athiest, as well as a smart guy !

Last edited by Lachlan09; 16th September 2014 at 11:20.
Old 16th September 2014, 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineertony View Post
Just read "Man's Eternal Quest" by Paramahansa Yogananda.

You believe it, you don't, then you have to explain where your consciousness came from, or perhaps where anything came from.
Knowing that does not effect or tell us why Christians follow an immoral theology and a genocidal son murdering prick of a God.

Morals are more important than what or who made you, --- are they not?

You can have your God of the Gaps trumps all the science we have proven if you want to hang up your thinking ability and go with faith alone but I see that as stupid. Do as you like though.

Regards
DL
Old 16th September 2014, 16:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineertony View Post
Gnostic Bishop,

Look within yourself, question what you are, not your body which will be gone at some time, but ask who is the person asking all these questions.

Can atoms & molecules be arranged in some way to start thinking and observing and form a mind? Or can a mind create a world of material things with you in it? Ask.
I forced my apotheosis a long time ago so I do not need your advice of going inside. I did and was rewarded and that is why I know how immoral your God is.

You seem to not care at all about morals and just want to sell your woo filled immoral religion. That is not good.

I am a Gnostic Christian whose ancestors your religion decimated just because we did not want to think as you do. There is not a hope in hell that I will turn satanic and join it.

You still only have might that is right. Most everything else you have gotten wrong and now you call evil good.

That is not good says you bible.

Regards
DL
Old 16th September 2014, 16:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachlan09 View Post
"How can modern men believe in a creator God?"

The answer in a word - faith.

it's not for everybody and it's a huge puzzle. Why have faith ?

Me ? Well I don't do anything religious but am still known to invoke The Almighty on those occasions where I need something a lot ! A bit selfish but I'm hedging my bets .

But when I'm driving past a mosque and I see all those people on their knees, bent over and head touching the floor and then think of the masses of people around the World showing their faith in different ways, do I think "Are they all fooling themselves, are they all deluded, are they sheep ?"

Or do I think "Am I so wonderfully adjusted in life and so switched on to steering my life in all ways and need no assistance it makes me a superior being who pities those deluded religious sheep ?" then "If I think that, I'm an arrogant SOB !"

The fact is, a lot of people need to have faith in something bigger than themselves, like an invisible big brother or superDad to lend them support. Perhaps that support cannot be measured or viewed, but they believe they're getting what they need. It doesn't have to be physical help, just the feeling of moral support. Are they all wrong to do that, to feel there is a purpose to life other than you're born, you live, you work, you play, you control everything, you get old, lose control, lose bowel control, then die - a horizontal blip on the hospital screen - never to feel anything again ? Why bother living ?

What makes me tick is for me to know but I will never criticize anymore anyone who has faith. I remember a nuclear-Bomb scientist who was so freaked out by his involvement and invention that he couldn't accept the responsibility and became a devout Roman Catholic. And he had been an athiest, as well as a smart guy !
If you are telling the truth as to not criticizing anyone's faith, then you are not much of a moral person and have no social conscience.

Don't just get mad. Listen.

For the evils of religion to grow, read any scripture literally.

Any and all harmless beliefs are allowed by Gnostic Christians. We know that any myth can be internalized for good results and as esoteric ecumenists, we enjoy knowledge of all the myths that man has created about Gods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02...list=PLCBF574D

When there is a victim is when that view changes. Then you see why Christianity annihilated Gnostic Christianity. We do not let the evils of forced literalism go unopposed. To a tyrant like Constantine, we were poison. One of his first commands to his new Church was to kill off the free thinkers and of course, his new tool, his Church, did as bid. It was quite a ride for free thought for the next 1,000 years.

For the evils of religion to grow.

How can a Gnostic Christian, --- and any other free thinking moral person, --- not judge other's morals when seeing someone hurt other because of the same Church's teachings today?

Can you ignore such things if you have decent morals? Impossible. Especially with Islam pulling the same murderous, freedom stifling ****.

We must discriminate and judge constantly. Every law is a compulsion on all of us to judge.

It is my view that all right wing literalists and fundamentals hurt all of us who are moral religionists, --- as well as those who do not believe. Literalists hurt their parent religions --- and everyone else, be he a believer or not. Literalists and the right wing of religions make us all into laughing stocks. Their God of talking animals, genocidal floods and retribution has got to go. So must beliefs in fantasy, miracles and magic. These are all evil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HKHa...x=0&playnext=1

They also do much harm to their own fellow adherents.

African witches and Jesus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlRG9...eature=related

Jesus Camp 1of 3
LiveLeak.com - Jesus Camp - Part 1 (3)

Death to Gays.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMw2Z...eature=related

For evil to grow my friend, all good people need do is nothing. Fight literalism when you can. It is your duty to our fellow man.

Regards
DL