Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Religion and Philosophy

Notices

What Does People Mean When They Say They Do Not Believe In God

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20th September 2011, 06:31
Quarantined Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy74 View Post
It's annoying dealing with pushy holy rollers.

That it is .
The thread author is so full of her/his self that he/she is unaware that she/he answered his/her own question .
Old 20th September 2011, 09:51

Sandy, everyone is completely free to believe this, that or the other. It is believers who seek to inflict their notions onto others that creates animosity.
Old 21st September 2011, 02:12

I tend to agree in some cases. Where I work there is a lady who is extremely religious. Luckily I don't have much interaction with her and she's very nice but when I am around her she makes me feel like I need to run off to a confessional afterwards. And I'm not even Catholic.
Old 21st September 2011, 21:58

pushy religions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy74 View Post
Since we know it can't be proven one way or the other I say to each his own. People believe in different higher powers if that's what you want to call it or not at all and they should be able to do it freely but also without pushing their own beliefs on others. It's annoying dealing with pushy holy rollers.
Sandy, well said! I AGREE. To think there are still -- in this year of 2011 -- thousands of people on this planet killing each other over which god they pray to, over which religion they belong to, over the color of their skin, their language, their ethnic background. . . it demeans our entire race. Tolerance & acceptance are in short supply in some corners of this world. And while they annoy me too, I am grateful that "dealing with pushy holy rollers" is only an "annoyance" for us in this day & age . . . when a few generations back, we would have been shackled, hanged, burned or otherwise punished for failing to tow the line to whatever religion the majority practiced at the time. . . recall Henry VIII, decrying papists, burning cathedrals, followed by his daughter Mary, who burned protestants in favor of Catholicism, followed by Elizabeth I who said, live and let live, followed by more generations of murder and mayhem depending on which way the wind blew. . . it just makes no sense. Isn't it true that all the major religions of the world have the same "Golden Rule"? Some version of "Do onto others. . . ?" Didn't Jesus and Buddha and Mohammed all encourage peace, forgiveness and tolerance? Taoism teaches we are all connected so that when one harms another, it ripples through all of us.
Old 22nd September 2011, 20:08

Originally posted by simpler times

Isn't it true that all the major religions of the world have the same "Golden Rule"? Some version of "Do onto others. . . ?" Didn't Jesus and Buddha and Mohammed all encourage peace, forgiveness and tolerance?

There is a common thread running through their teachings that encourages morality and compassion but the Buddha was unique in that he was the only one who never suggested that a belief in God was necessary for an individual to achieve spiritual growth which is why I've always found his teachings more credible than those of other "prophets".

- Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 24th September 2011, 09:16

Isn't there a maxim which states "Do unto others as they would do unto you, only do it first !"
Old 3rd November 2011, 13:26

Isn't it true that all the major religions of the world have the same "Golden Rule"? Some version of "Do onto others. . . ?" Didn't Jesus and Buddha and Mohammed all encourage peace, forgiveness and tolerance?

Buddah and Jesus were known to be men of peace, in much the same way as Ghandi...the same could not be claimed of Mohammed...he was a warrior, fighting many battles for his new found religion, beheading many enemies personally. He also did not encourage tolerance in any shape or form...homosexuals were to be killed without question to name but one intolerance, and one which is still common practice in Muslim countries to this day...