Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Religion and Philosophy

Notices

What Does People Mean When They Say They Do Not Believe In God

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19th September 2010, 19:53

Dearly beloved, verily I say unto thee that all you need to know about religion is to be found in the bibles of the most glorious and blessed Terry Pratchett. Praise be unto his name! And also unto that of the esteemed and exalted Pythons who did cause to be shown unto us "The Life of Brian". And also unto that of Richard Dawkins et al, only they are not so funny.

Right, now I have made a sermon, I can pass the plate round and you must give me money. Oh, yes you must - that's the way it works.
Old 20th September 2010, 06:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by arty71 View Post
Nobel Prize winning physicist Steven Wienberg said it best and I quote... "Religion is an insult to human dignity...without it, [religion] we would have good people doing good things, and evil people doing evil things, but for good people to do evil things, it takes religion"
This really is a profound statement. In addition to the openly hostile attitudes displayed by various religions, there is the more subtle, but also damaging, "us versus them" mentality of religions that believe they have the "real truth" - such as Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses. Some of these religions practice shunning of individuals who realise they are mixed up in a cult and want to leave. This causes huge emotional turmoil to the leavers, as well as to friends and family who stay in the religion, but are required to shun the leaver. Many of those who comply with the shunning policy are really good people, but they are continually under pressure to comply with this ridiculous requirement. Next time one of these misguided religious fanatics knocks on your door - just ask them to explain their shunning policy.
Old 20th September 2010, 14:10

Then there's confession in the RC church. It's supposed to make a wrongdoer own up, consider their actions and to be a better person. However, human nature being what it is, the wrongdoer goes in, confesses, takes the punishment, goes out with a clean slate and does more bad things until the next confession comes around. My wife's Filipina friends are a classic example, full of gossip about any friends or others who aren't present, often scurrilous and venomous, then they trot off to church, come out all saint-like and start spouting their crap again !!!

To make matters worse, I have seen RC churches in the Phillippines who advertise indulgences for those who wish to swap pennance for a cash penalty.

Reminds me of Robert Burns' poem "Holy Willie's Prayer" - that says it all.
Old 20th September 2010, 21:54

'peaceful' religions...ho hum...

Then there are the 'peaceful' religions...the ones who claim their religion means peace...but if you dare offend it they'll kill you..!

Christopher Eccelston starred in a good drama about 10 years ago called "The Second Coming"...the way it ended spoke volumes about the subject
Old 14th April 2011, 12:24

Send a message via AIM to thedentist
maybe they just don't believe in the name (God) but they might have been believing the existence of God which they prefer not to be called with a name but with faith.
Old 18th April 2011, 23:04

I am a Christian and am passionate about my faith and would love to share it with others. However, I can't see what this question has to do with Scotland....
Old 19th April 2011, 01:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Britophile View Post
I am a Christian and am passionate about my faith and would love to share it with others. However, I can't see what this question has to do with Scotland....
neither do i really...

we've got enough to worry about than some guy in the sky imho