Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Religion and Philosophy

Notices

That anti Islam cartoon in that Dutch newspaper

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17th February 2006, 10:15

No more of this for me.
There are obviously some very stupid and blinkered people in here who are being swayed by the likes of Bush and Blair without even realising it.
I can't believe that in such a progressive and highly educated country we can harbour so much ignorance and idiocy.
Old 25th February 2006, 01:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaledx76
Let alone that Islamica mag is lenient towards twirling dancers and Muslim scholars in general deny such Sufi acts to be religious....

You Muslims do love your hangups. What next - jihads declared against dancers that twirl and urinals that spill.
Old 25th February 2006, 13:30

I'm not surprised that Sufis are treated with distrust by those in power in Islamic countries-they don't see any need for Mullahs or other intermediaries striving instead for a personal union with God. It seems to me that they are one of the more enlightened Islamic sects given their disdain for clerics and their man made doctrines and institutions.

- Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 15th March 2006, 06:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDY-J3
I'm not surprised that Sufis are treated with distrust by those in power in Islamic countries-they don't see any need for Mullahs or other intermediaries striving instead for a personal union with God. It seems to me that they are one of the more enlightened Islamic sects given their disdain for clerics and their man made doctrines and institutions.
On the contrast, those in power in the Islamic countires would want more twirling dancers to come up to the surface (TV & Meida) because of their hypnotized "Let's dance and wallow into spiritualities while avoiding politics from near or far" attitude...

"Personal union with God"...Even a lot Muslim Sufis wouldn't go that far....otherwise they'd come out of the religion.....and no matter how romantic or deeply spiritual & mystic the thought might seem, the harms that could be produced from it should be clear to people of reason, esp by you Andy...and this same thought doesn't deviate much from the idea of having intermediaries to reach God nor claiming that "God last night told me to do so & so in his name..."...i.e. abuses claimed by the "Qutb" (means "The Pole", i.e. spiritual one) for his followers from taking money to hand kissing...to putting rules that go in line with their benifits...and such abuses are very obvious among the uneducated societies in the Muslim world for their lack of knowledge, esp the religious one....

Even prophets never claimed to be in "Union with God"...The closest they got is by talking to Allah...as Moses PBUH did...and recieved the inspiration diredctly and through the Angel Gabriel....

“Sufism”: A Tradition of Transcendental Mysticism

http://islamonline.net/english/Conte...rticle03.shtml

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Mullas here....Muslim Sunnis mainly believe that sheikhs are scholars who have more knowledge than normal people do...so when they present their religious opinions, they have to give proofs on what they say rather than following their vain desire...Similar to a normal institute with scholars and students....and those scholars are respected for their good manners & knowledge rather than being considered holy or only as spiritual references.....

Believing in Allah is instinctive and natural to all of us regardless of having prophets...yet those prophets are the guidance to his way....

"If there were settled, on earth, angels walking about in peace and quiet, We should certainly have sent them down from the heavens an angel for a messenger." (17:95)

And the closest way we can get close to Allah is to worship him as if he/she is seeing him...and if that level can't be reached then it should be known that he sees us....

A hadith qudsi (sacred tradition) that has been authenticated by scholars of Hadith says: “My servant can never draw nearer to Me by anything more dearer to Me than by doing the duties I have prescribed on him; My servant shall continue to draw nearer to Me by performing the supererogatory acts of virtue until I love him; when I love him, I become his ears with which he hears, his eyes with which he sees, his hands with which he grasps, and his feet with which he walks; if he were to ask of Me, I will grant his request, if he were to seek refuge in Me, I will protect him” (Al-Bukhari).

Those duties include seeking knowledge. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) told his Companions: "Seeking knowledge is a (religious) duty on every Muslim."

Another Hadith says: “It is made up of more than sixty branches; the highest of which is the belief in the Oneness of Allah, i.e., there is no god but Allah, and the lowest in the scale of worship is removing obstacles and dirt from people's way."

More about this here:

Worship in Islam

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1124199913280

Observing Moderation in Worship

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...atwaE%2FFatwaE
Old 24th March 2006, 03:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyv
BUT, this religion encourages it's believers to go out and murder the Non Believer, in the name of the profit.
A Freudian slip?
Old 24th March 2006, 03:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum_Fantastic
There has been no violent reactions against Muslims as a result of these cartoons. Fact.
That's a bit of a sweeping statement, how do you verify it?
Old 24th March 2006, 03:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum_Fantastic
Tom Gross, Jerusalem Post...
So much for religious respect.[/i]
Hardly an impartial source on things Muslim.