Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Pets

Notices

Kitten or Cat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10th January 2008, 20:16

Kitten or Cat?

Which is a better choice for you?

When people think about adding a cat to their lives, they automatically think "kitten". And why not? A kitten seems to make perfect sense, a little fluffball who'll grow into your household and your heart. For some people, though, an adult cat is a better option. And even if you're perfectly set up for a kitten, you ought to consider an adult as well, for you'll find many wonderful pets among the ranks of grown cats, and most will never get a seond chance to show how wonderful they can be.

DON'T rule out either before you fairly consider each one.

*Kittens can be a lot of work and aggravation. They can result in a lot of expense, too, because many a kitten seems to use up nearly all of a cat's nine lives, which means you may end up seeing the nice people at the veterinary clinic a time or two in the first year.

*With a kitten, you also need to put more time into training, from making sure that the kitten understands what's expected regarding the litter box. to helping your kitten learn to stay off the counters.

*You need to kitten-proof your home---or keep the kitten confined in a safe part of your house whenever you're not watching him---and then spend months during which, every day, you're picking your little tiger off the drapes, off the kids, off the back of the couch, or off your slippers every time you walk sown the hall.

* The most serious disadvantage to adult cats is simply that they aren't as "baby cute" as kittens!

*The easy and generous affection of adult cats make them perfect pets for people for whom walking dogs would be difficult or impossible. And study after study confirms the importance of a cat in the lives of those who feel isolated by age or disabilities.

* One of the most compelling reasons to adopt a mature cat is that many of these adults have little hope of getting a second chance after they hit the shelter, no matter how healthy, beautiful, and well-mannered they are. Kittens are so adorable they're hard to pass up, so many people never even look at the cages of afult cats when they're at the shelter.

*The possible disadvantage of adopting an adult cat is that you may be choosing a pet with behavioral problems---not using a litter box, for example. A good shelter, rescue group, or breeder practices full disclosure of any known health or behavior problems with the animals up for adoption.
Remember, however, that many animals are given up for behavior problems that can be resolved or aren't their fault---such as the cat who's looking at a filthy litter box every day and decides to do his business elsewhere.
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:22

I like this thread and coulsn't agree with you more! I have one cat that I got as an adult (Well 1 yr old) and he is lovely! he did have issues when we first got him.... But more to do with contact and stuff!

he has now settled in and we have had him for just over two years, he will occassionally sit on my lap but has never been over cuddly though! Difference is he doesnt hiss when you go near him any more and even tolerates strangers ehich he never used to do!

With a bit of care and attention you can definately work through problems that you may have with older cats - and usually quicker than it takes to train a kitten
Old 20th November 2009, 09:39

My husband used to work in a concession store on a mine, at night tons of wild cats used to come out and eat the meat out of the packets in the open fridges and basically destroy stock, now the owners solution to this was to put down meat with glass in it (HORRIFIC!!) one night my husband came home with a tiny little kitten which he rescued from this cruel fate, problem was this cat was in the truest form WILD, it would come into my bed at night and start chewing on my ears and hair, and got totally violent when you tried to push it away from you, it would hiss and meow furiously, another thing was, if you just moved too quickly it would pounce on your legs arms back, anywhere really and claw the hell out of you, we tried taming it but it would have none of it, sadly it had to be given over to a shelter.
Old 20th November 2009, 12:17

Oh that is horrible isn't it? Poor cats! I mean everything has a right to lifr, maybe just the meat without the glass would have been ok or more secure storage?

As for the kitty - ouch! Sound spainful for you guys! My aunt adopted a wild kitty before but he lived outside and only came to eat etc.... He didnt come into the house but stayed in her barn! But he knew where to come for food hehe!
Old 24th November 2009, 01:37

I've found that older cats are better suited to the farm my husband I live on...they are ok to be outside at night without worrying about them getting picked off by the coyotes. I volunteer at a shelter and can guarantee you that 80% of the adult cats there get put down because ppl want kittens...save a cat! ADOPT from your local humane society!
Old 24th November 2009, 14:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanya.bailey View Post
I've found that older cats are better suited to the farm my husband I live on...they are ok to be outside at night without worrying about them getting picked off by the coyotes. I volunteer at a shelter and can guarantee you that 80% of the adult cats there get put down because ppl want kittens...save a cat! ADOPT from your local humane society!

I did not know that the numbers were so high! Definately the way forward I think! And why not I mean they come fully trained 9 times out of 10!
Old 22nd March 2011, 16:55

Send a message via AIM to thedentist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmujer View Post
Which is a better choice for you?

When people think about adding a cat to their lives, they automatically think "kitten". And why not? A kitten seems to make perfect sense, a little fluffball who'll grow into your household and your heart. For some people, though, an adult cat is a better option. And even if you're perfectly set up for a kitten, you ought to consider an adult as well, for you'll find many wonderful pets among the ranks of grown cats, and most will never get a seond chance to show how wonderful they can be.

DON'T rule out either before you fairly consider each one.

*Kittens can be a lot of work and aggravation. They can result in a lot of expense, too, because many a kitten seems to use up nearly all of a cat's nine lives, which means you may end up seeing the nice people at the veterinary clinic a time or two in the first year.

*With a kitten, you also need to put more time into training, from making sure that the kitten understands what's expected regarding the litter box. to helping your kitten learn to stay off the counters.

*You need to kitten-proof your home---or keep the kitten confined in a safe part of your house whenever you're not watching him---and then spend months during which, every day, you're picking your little tiger off the drapes, off the kids, off the back of the couch, or off your slippers every time you walk sown the hall.

* The most serious disadvantage to adult cats is simply that they aren't as "baby cute" as kittens!

*The easy and generous affection of adult cats make them perfect pets for people for whom walking dogs would be difficult or impossible. And study after study confirms the importance of a cat in the lives of those who feel isolated by age or disabilities.

* One of the most compelling reasons to adopt a mature cat is that many of these adults have little hope of getting a second chance after they hit the shelter, no matter how healthy, beautiful, and well-mannered they are. Kittens are so adorable they're hard to pass up, so many people never even look at the cages of afult cats when they're at the shelter.

*The possible disadvantage of adopting an adult cat is that you may be choosing a pet with behavioral problems---not using a litter box, for example. A good shelter, rescue group, or breeder practices full disclosure of any known health or behavior problems with the animals up for adoption.
Remember, however, that many animals are given up for behavior problems that can be resolved or aren't their fault---such as the cat who's looking at a filthy litter box every day and decides to do his business elsewhere.
woah!! with this much information I am speechless and don't know if I can choose either of the two.