Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Pets

Notices

Pet Ed 101: Spaying and Neutering: Myths and Facts

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16th February 2005, 15:47

Pet Ed 101: Spaying and Neutering: Myths and Facts

MYTH: My pet will get fat and lazy
FACT: Teh truth is that most pets get fat and lazy because their owners feed them too much and don't give them enough exercise.

MYTH: It's better to have one litter.
FACT: Medical evidence indicates just the opposite. In fact, the evidence shows that females spayed before their first heat are typically healthier. Many veterinarians now sterilize dogs and cats as young as eight weeks of age. Check with your veterinarian about the appropriate time for these proceddures.

MYTH: My children should experience the miracle of birth.
FACT: Even if children are able to see a pet give birth---which is unlikely, since it usually occurs at night and in seclusion---the lesson they will learn is that animals can be created and discarded as it suits adults. Instead, it should be explained to children that the real miracle is life and the preventing of birth of some animals can save te lives of others.

MYTH: But my pet is purebred.
FACT: So is at least one out of every four pets brought to animal shleters arpund the country. There are just too many dogs and cats---mixed breed AND purebred.

MYTH: I want my dog to be protective,
FACT: Spaying or neutering does not affect a dog's natural
instinct to protect home and family. A dog's personality if formed more by genetics nd environment than by sex hormones.

MYTH: I don't want my dog or cat to feel like less of a male.
FACT: Pets don't have any concept of sexual identity or ego. Neutering will not change a pet's basic personality. He doesn't suffer any kind of emotional reaction or identity crisis when neutered.

MYTH: But my dog (or cat) is so special, I want a puppy (or kitten) just like her.
FACT: A dog or cat may be a great pet, but that doesn't mean her offspring will be a carbon copy. Professional animal breeders who follow generations of bloodlines can't guarantee they will get justwhat they want out of a litter. A pet owner's chances are even slimmer. In fact, an entire litter of puppies or kittens might receive all of a pet's (and her mate's) worst characteristics.

MYTH: It's too expensive to have my pet spayed or neutered.
FACT: The cost of spaying or neutering depends on the sex, size, and age of the pet, your veterinarian's fees, and a number of other variables. But whatever the actual price, spay or neuter sutgery is a one-time cost---a relatively small cost when compared to all the benefits. It's a bargain compared to the cost of having a litter and ensuring the health of mother and litter; nine months of pregnancy and another two months until the litter is weaned can add up to significent costs if complications develop. Most importently, it's a very small price to pay for the health of your pet and the prevention of the births of more unwanted
pets.

MYTH: I'll find good homes for all the puppies and kittens.
MYTH: You may find homes for all of your pet's litter. But each home you find means one less home for the dogs and cats in shelters who need good homes. Also, in less than one year's time, each of your pet's offspring may have his or her own litter, adding even more animals to the population. The problem of pet over-population is created and perpetuated one litter at a time. m
Old 19th February 2005, 17:39

I have a 7 month old pup which i got from an animal welfare centre.Iv'e had her since she was 8 weeks old.When she was 6 months,before her first season,i took her to be spayed.The next day after the op,she was bouncing about as usual.I was supposed to keep her quiet for a few days!!!,not much chance of that.
Old 19th February 2005, 18:38

Y'know, I use information I find; sometimes, I think te sources are operating in a perfect world! I rescue cats, and the experiences I've had makes it seem IMPOSSIBLE to keep some quiet; then, there are the ones that have been in pain...so, I've gone back to get some medication for that. Each animal is so different.