Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Music and Art

Notices

Bagpipe makers

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13th May 2003, 18:37

The best Bagpipe makers i have seen in Scotland are in preference order.
The best of the best is
McDougalls of Perth 1700-1787
then McDougalls of Aberfeldy,both same family
then Hendersons,Lawrie,Glen,Robertson,Hardys,bagpipe makers used to be old furniture makers, and heard of one who was a blacksmith, an old Scottish travelling gaji I knew made his own pipes quickly from an old car inner tube for the bag and drones were made from branches of the elderberry tree and he made own reeds also and sometimes he would always get a chanter from the odd piper or even Hardys in Glasgow they always had a bin that was full of broken bits of pipes that were from the british army who always had there bagpipes made there, so Hardys always had the odd chanter about for a few pound and if you got a good chanter that wasnt flat you would keep,I have seen many Henderson chanters with a big sole and as flat as a pancake,as they say,
and then modern would be
Kintails,Kilberry,Tweedie,Shepherds,Haines,
and i will leave the rest to you and worst begins with a P
does anyone agree or disagree,
I am amazed at the amount of people who think the name on the Chanter is maker of the pipes thats not true as Chanters are versatile,Guide for P made pipes is stocks are smaller than normal scots made pipes are are not made from African Blackwood generally the forign pipes are made from
Sheesam, and cocowood,and polypenco plastic, play on laddies,I remeber Durham ladies pipeband and a scottish ladies band was Townhill/Dunfermline ladys pipe band,there was many good wee bands but sadly they died out with the miners in Scotland,so if any old pipers still remember put your memories here so we can all read,pity Logans or scots guards never made a book on the History of the pipes,
Kintail makes a nice antique set of pipes that I have seen,