Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Moving

Notices

Beloved Scotland

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21st December 2014, 18:03

Beloved Scotland

Hi,
I feel very glad whenever I communicate with Scottish people. I am from Greece. I have studied in Glasgow Information Technology in 1990 and worked for almost a year in an Computer Company in Glasgow. My staying in Scotland was one of the most woderful period in my life. Me and my wife have visited a lot of time Scotland and she is also impressed by the coyntry and Scottish people. We have not visited the country for over ten yaers.

We are now considering of relocating in Glasgow or Ediburgh. We have a budget for supporting our staying for a year and there is also a monthly income that can support a part of the monthly expenses. Concerning qualifications for inquiring a job I have 14 years working experience in IT Programming and Analysis and 7 years as Area Manager and I speak English,Italian French and of course my native Greek language.

What concerns me more and worries me is my age of 52.
1) Is there any age discrimination in Scottish market and employers? And I mean in reality, not what is referred in job ads.
2) Is there any chance to find a job, sending CV to recruiters, if I am not current resident of UK?

I would deeply appreciate if somebody could answered these questions.

Thank you in advance,

Stamatis.
Old 22nd December 2014, 09:10

Hi Stamatis

Re your question "Is there any chance to find a job, sending CV to recruiters, if I am not current resident of UK?"

I do not have an answer but suggest you register with an agency and ask their advice. Interviews, both with agencies and potential employers can be done on skype (I've just done one for an Australian agency). Google Scottish Recruitment Agencies - Agency Central. Then add your info for a search and it will come up with all the Scottish agencies that deal will IT recruitment.

But more importantly, do not let your age deter you. We had the same worry when we made the move from Scotland to NZ at 56yrs old. Our age was not a barrier to finding work then, and it still isn't (although some employers prefer new graduates so they can pay less). Scotland is not an ageist country so I do not think being in your early 50's would prevent employment. Finding a job in a very overpopulated country is where your challenge lies, so you might have to compromise and take a less qualified IT job.

Life is an adventure and some risks are worth taking. Some work out, and some don't but you never know unless you try.

Good luck.
Old 22nd December 2014, 14:45

Hi Stamatis and welcome

I agree wholeheartedly with lostinNZ - go for it!

1) Is there any age discrimination in Scottish market and employers? And I mean in reality, not what is referred in job ads.

Yes of course, the same as anywhere else. But with your work qualifications and experience and the type of or you are looking for, age should not be a barrier.

2) Is there any chance to find a job, sending CV to recruiters, if I am not current resident of UK?

As lostinNZ suggests, look for jobs now online and submit your CV to as many recruiters as possible. Check out Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling | Monster Job Site and Jobs in Scotland on s1jobs.com, the number 1 Scottish job site to get started

I hope that this is useful. Let us know how you are getting on!
Old 23rd December 2014, 02:01

Thumbs up Ligth through the tunnel

I would like to thank you lostinnz,mikeyBoab for your encouranging remarks and furthermore miekeybob for the particular information on agency sites. I will continue in a more fervente way my research and contacts with job agencies. It would be more preferred to relocate after having find a prospect of job. Anyway, September of 2015 is the most probable period of relocating. In the meanwhile I hope for a prolific communication process with agencies and "interested employers".

Thank you both for the positive stroke.

Stamatis.