Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Moving

Notices

Dual citizen making the big move (Aus->Scot)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23rd November 2014, 05:28

Dual citizen making the big move (Aus->Scot)

Hi everyone!

Im a dual citizen Aus/Brit about to finish my degree here in Aus. I have nothing holding me back now and I plan on moving the Scotland as soon as I get that shiny piece of paper that says SCIENCE GRAD!

As it is a fairly long haul from Aus I was wondering if there are any folk here who have made a similar move and have any tips for me?
I also have a dog, who will stay with my parents here until I get myself situated over there. What are the things I need to consider to get her moved too?

As my career is science based, I figure Ill need to move to one of the major cities, despite my heart being set on the highlands (damn those highlander romance novels). Is there a reputable organisation that helps graduates find suitable positions for employment? Or do people just search and apply?

What is the accommodation scene like? Are there cities/areas I would not want to live in?

Thanks in advance for your help guys, and if there is anything I might have forgotten and you think is valuable advice, please fire away! I am keen to start organising, and would appreciate all you can give.

K
Old 23rd November 2014, 15:23

My niece, also a dual citizen made the move a few years ago. She found it quite hard to find a relevant job, and ended up in London, where there were more opportunities. She ended up going home to Aus to do a Masters as her Aussie Bachelors wasn't deemed rigorous enough for the career path she wanted. She then came back, found a job in Brighton that she really wanted, stayed three years and then went home after a telephone interview for her dream job in Melbourne! She then met an Englishman, from Brighton, of all places, and they had a great wedding here in the UK two years later. They have almost completed building their home in NSW and hope to move in before Christmas.

I've visited Aus a few times and LOVE it, just not enough to move there permanently!
Old 23rd November 2014, 23:40

Australia is beautiful, no doubt, and there are things I know I will miss when I leave. But have you ever felt that part of you is missing? I feel whole when I visit Scotland, like some part of my soul will always be stuck there.
A part of me is scared that it's all some rediculous girly romance thing, but I won't know until I give in and take that chance.
To be perfectly honest, I'd be content to just work in a highland pub for a while until I find an entry level science based position. Though I do envisage many situations where I will be the butt of a joke...

Did your niece just pack a bag and give it a go? Or did she try to organise things before leaving?
Old 24th November 2014, 14:13

Oh, she had a plan!

She was to live with us until she got settled. In reality that was about six months. Before she left home she arranged a 3 week Contiki European tour and as soon as she got here she arranged a Haggis tour of Scotland to get a feel for the place. She started applying for jobs, but found bar work to keep her going. She registered with recruitment companies, some online before she left home.

One thing she did find was that whilst she was free to work and live here forever if she felt like it, some companies openly questioned her long time commitment and kept mentioning 'I bet you get homesick often'. It was infuriating and, I suspect, illegal, too
Old 24th November 2014, 23:02

A haggis tour? That sounds slightly dubious.... I am intrigued.

I have found it difficult to apply for jobs from Aus. I'm assuming they see my address and think it's too difficult waiting for someone to relocate across the globe. Don't you get it? I don't plan on leaving once I get there!

I have friends down in Preston who are happy to have me stay until I get settled, it's not that bad a train ride all things considered, but would obviously be much easier to be organised prior to leaving.

What are some good organisations that assist in finding work?
Old 25th November 2014, 00:07

Nothing dubious, just basic
Haggis Adventures - Affordable Tours of Scotland, England and Wales

What's your speciality? Some Science degrees from Aus are not 'transferrable skills'.
Old 25th November 2014, 04:33

Thanks for the link.
I majored in biology, but my focus is zoonotic disease and ecology. I'm hoping that the skills I have are transferable