Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Moving

Notices

Moving from England to Scotland

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28th October 2014, 14:53

Moving from England to Scotland

Hubby and I have been wanting to move to Scotland for a while. Our son has just left for university and we feel now is the time to start thinking seriously about it.

We live in Cornwall at the moment - so you couldn't get more further away in this country!

We are thinking about moving to the Cromarty area - and are going there in a couple of weeks for a holiday and to do some checking out of the areas.

As the laws are different when buying and selling - we feel it would be a safer option to sell our house first and then to buy something when we have the money in the bank.

We are thinking of buying new furniture, but we do have some bits we would like to keep and we have large collections of books and pictures. Storage of this would have to be the answer I think.

I guess I am asking if anyone else has done this? How did you do?

Looks like we may either have to live from a motorhome or rent somewhere between selling and buying - just sounds a bit scarey to be honest as we are both in our 50's and it will be a shock not to have a roof over our heads.

Any advice gratefully received.
Old 30th October 2014, 02:56

Not many scots or English folk on this site. I know 2 English couples who run b&bs, one couple has been living in the Garve area since 2000...they are now looking to sell up and move back down to York to be near family. The other couple up in Wick since 2008, have just had an offer for their six room b&b and are thinking of moving to the Isle of Wight.... However there are loads of folk from England living in Scotland. Cromarty is a good area. Love the Beauly, Muir of Ord, Contin, Strathpeffer and Dingwall areas very much. Wish you all the best, spend as much time as you can exploring the areas where you want to live.
Old 30th October 2014, 17:49

thanks so much for that.
Old 30th October 2014, 22:01
Super Moderator

My sister moved up to Struy from Doncaster over 10 years ago and she loves it, its about 20 mins
down the road from Beauly or should I say up in the mountains.

They firstly stayed with friends who were able to store their furniture in one of the barns, the more
valuable items went into storage and at the minute I am not certain if it was in Doncaster or Inverness.
Both her and her hubby were in their 50's then and both found employment- that was not easy for
her hubby though as he found some of the accents a bit hard to understand, he is doing ok now and
enjoys the quieter and slower pace of life..even if he does have to drive for nearly an hour to work.

Cannich is another area that is lovely and also a fair smattering of English people there.

I do know some people who moved to Invergordon and then moved again to Strathpeffer for a quiter life.
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:39

Hello Mumbo

Saw your thread and wondered if you have moved yet?

My wife and I are looking to move from Devon to the Inverness area - indeed we are looking in particular at the Beauly or Drumnadrochit areas.

My wife is American and loves the forests which remind her of Oregon.

I would love to hear of your experience.

Looking forward to your reply.

Paul Tollett