Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Moving

Notices

To live in Scotland...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25th June 2014, 09:54

I seriously suggest you visit Scotland before you even think about moving here.

It is the law that anyone living in Scotland must eat haggis once a week.
Old 25th June 2014, 10:32

and you need to catch it yourself mind....none of this asda rubbish
Old 25th June 2014, 10:45

They are fast - but i find if you get up early, your success rate is much higher as their wings and legs are still stiff from sleeping - and dont wear perfume they can smell it a mile off, it better to disguise your smell by standing in a cow pat or some sheep dung.

But there is nothing that beats a freshly caught Haggis
Old 25th June 2014, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monika-Fierce View Post
Awesome-sauce! I currently have duel nationallity, American and Netherlands, and I guesd if you want to get technical, I can also claim Chilean citizenship as well. I'm super stoked! I've always wanted to live somewhere in Scotland. I can't necessarily explain why, just that I do. I have so many questions, I don't know where to start. Do Scots distain Americans as much as the Dutch? Is haggis really made out of stomach and intestines? I could go on forever! I have a wealth of information on Chilean, American and Dutch cultures. Maybe we can trade?
O_o
Ciao,
Monika
No, in fact you will find that people will take an interest in you as soon as they hear the American accent, you're still quite a novelty in most parts outside of Edinburgh and since we share a "similar" language, eat the same type of food, consume the same media, then most Scots will be eager to be friendly towards you.

So long as you don't come across as rude or ignorant to them.
Old 25th June 2014, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by och aye the noo View Post

They are fast - but i find if you get up early, your success rate is much higher as their wings and legs are still stiff from sleeping - and dont wear perfume they can smell it a mile off, it better to disguise your smell by standing in a cow pat or some sheep dung.

But there is nothing that beats a freshly caught Haggis
I use a pack of hunting cats (ginger wans) on the hillside but find that I have to use on average a pack of 9 because generally the haggii will kill about 4-5 of the cats per hunt but it distracts them long enough for me to club it with a spade.
Old 26th June 2014, 07:06
Super Moderator

Haggis is cooked in the stomach, as if it were a bag. There are many things in a haggis and it tastes a bit like liver. I don't believe you would find intestines, or the contents of, in a haggis, cleaned intestines were much better used as sausage casings.

Rather than go out and hunt it up with cats or sheep or the local constable, just go to the grocery store and buy one! (Sorry members, sometimes you have to be honest with the newbies!)

You really should go visit first, and not necessarily at the nicest time of the year, go in the winter, see if you can do it.

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Old 26th June 2014, 10:05

KathyV

Aye your talking about the farmed "Brown Haggis" which is readily available in most good shops although a village butcher is best.

We are talking about the "Wild Black Haggis"- I can assure you is not easy caught, and there have been a variety of methods used to catch this elusive, cunning, bird.

They have well known to team up with "The Famous Grouse" - trust me, when they team up then blood flies

Hope this helps
OH - your retirement home Ceres, North East Fife, flat, 15 minuets you have the hills, plenty of good fishing both river and sea, salmon, sea trout, brown trout, Haddock, etc, Edinburgh airport 50 minuets, and 3 hospitals within 10 - 30 minuets
The people friendly
Or why not build your own house, I will sell you a plot if you like.