Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Moving

Notices

Considering Moving To Scotland From USA

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29th December 2013, 06:56

Question Considering Moving To Scotland From USA

Hi! I'm Nina, I'm 23 and I currently live in Philadelphia, PA. I work in the food/hospitality industry. I'm a pastry cook at a fine dining French bistro called Parc by Steven Starr. Obviously I'm a foodie but I'm also a dancer and I adore the theater and listen to quite a bit of metal music. I'm telling you all of this because I'm toying with the idea of moving to Scotland in a year or two when I have enough money saved up. I wanted to know if I would fit in well there. I've visited the country once a few years ago and fell in love with it. However, I was with my family and much younger then so I didn't get the chance to analyze what it would really be like for me to live there. What is it like for people my age? Where are the best places to live and how much does it cost on average? Are performing arts a big thing? Is there a big food scene? What is the most convenient way to travel/commute? I'm full of questions!! I just want to be absolutely sure about this decision since it's such a huge one. I'm very nervous about moving even further away from my family (they're all in the southwest in Arizona and New Mexico) but I've been dreaming of Scotland for years. Advice and complete honesty about this is greatly appreciated!
Old 29th December 2013, 13:20

The most difficult thing as a foreigner from outwith the EU would be to obtain the relevant visa required to allow you to work/live in the UK. i am unsure that chefs would be on the list of required trades, but if you google UK BORDER AGENCY, you could search.

We have lots of great restaurants in Scotland. Fine dining to many ethnic restaurants. Here's a taster of the Michelin starred restaurants
Michelin Star Restaurants in Scotland Luxuria magazine

Do we have performing arts? Do another google.....

Good luck with your adventure. Travel and working in foreign countries is a great learning experience.
Old 30th December 2013, 01:16

Yes I assumed getting a visa will be difficult. It's one of the things that's making me very nervous. I definitely need to do some serious research on that topic so I'm not blindsided when the time comes to apply for one.
Old 7th January 2014, 00:53

UK Visa

There is an American lassie who moved to the UK, she has a blog called Picture Britain, there's some info she posted up about the visa process, you might find it useful, hope your dreams come true . The Quick and Easy Way to Apply for a British Visa
Old 14th March 2014, 01:56

I am kind of in the same boat as you DancinChef. I even have family in Scotland, not close enough to get me in though, too bad cousins do not count. I have hit nothing but road block after road block and it's extremely frustrating.

The tier system is what got me. I would qualify under Tier 5. My background is in the outdoors industry; US Forest Service, Forestry Technician Wilderness/Recreation and Backcountry Outfitting (hunting, similar to a Gamekeeper). I only qualify for things like Tier 5 volunteer, charity or religious. So I could go to Scotland and not be able to work for money or accept full time employment. My family in both Glasgow and Perth have offered me work and a place to live but it doesn't matter.

I have come to the conclusion that the only way in, is to marry someone. My cousin knows some fine looking lassies

Last edited by wildcattieyote; 14th March 2014 at 05:22.
Old 14th March 2014, 10:50

If you have cousins in Scotland, I assume one of your parents is Scottish. You would be entitled to apply for dual nationality and allowed to settle.
Old 14th March 2014, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwarth View Post
If you have cousins in Scotland, I assume one of your parents is Scottish. You would be entitled to apply for dual nationality and allowed to settle.
I have looked into this. My uncle was born in Perth, my aunt was born in Canada and my mother was born in Florida (My mother did live in Britain for a short time as a child).

Because my mother was not born in Britain nor does she hold British nationality, I cannot use her to obtain dual nationality. Since I am American I am not able to be grandfathered in as well.