Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Moving

Notices

Scottish Immigrants and Their Descendants

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 9th August 2013, 18:20

Scottish Immigrants and Their Descendants

Hi,

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I figured this forum might be a good place to start.

I am an author doing research for a book I'm writing, and I would like to ask a a question of those born in Scotland.

We all know that many Scots immigrated to Canada, Australia, New Zealand and even to the USA in the 1800's and in my case, a grandfather who came to New Zealand in 1920. I have read many posts on other forums relating to Scotland, on YouTube, and even a post on this site regarding the descendants of immigrants, and there seems to be an underlying feeling of animosity toward us. In particular, some of the comments I have read refer to us as 'Outlanders', foreign which is correct as we weren't born in Scotland, some state they we aren't welcome in Scotland on the same level as those born there, that we can't possibly have any national pride in Scotland and that we are using our claim to ancestral heritage to move into Scotland and take jobs and housing etc. Some comments I have read I simply can't repeat for they were quite ugly and hateful.

I'm not sure if this the general consensus of all Scottish nationals or just a minority who are fiercely protective and proud of their native land. My question is, how do those of you born in Scotland, really feel about us, the descendents?

Cheers
Valmai
Old 9th August 2013, 23:46

As a Scot, I say... Visit us and feel welcome.

However when foreigners try to be more Scottish than us natives? That really gets mah goat, ken?
Old 10th August 2013, 02:20

as a scot id say every one is more than welcome to visit, stay, live regardless of how Scottish you think you may or not be.

ive never heard of any issue with any one calling anyone else "descendants".
sounds quite implausible given the amount of over seas relatives most scots must have.

the problem lies with people telling Scottish people they know best about Scotland, their great great granddad being born here or not doesnt make any difference.
Old 10th August 2013, 03:09
Quarantined Users

I have observed on this forum , and in person , some who were not born in Scotland referring to themselves as Scottish .
I'm intrigued by this ,
how on earth did they manage to be born on two places at once ?
Old 10th August 2013, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwarth View Post
As a Scot, I say... Visit us and feel welcome.

However when foreigners try to be more Scottish than us natives? That really gets mah goat, ken?
Well, you can't be or become something you're not, no matter how hard you wish for it, but I think some people identify with more than one culture regardless of their ethnicity. Even more so if there is a connection to that culture through ancestry. Identifying with a particular culture gives people a sense of security, makes them feel they belong. Unfortunately, some people go a wee bit overboard with it, and I can understand how annoying this may be to native Scots.

Cheers
Old 10th August 2013, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by tig View Post
as a scot id say every one is more than welcome to visit, stay, live regardless of how Scottish you think you may or not be.

ive never heard of any issue with any one calling anyone else "descendants".
sounds quite implausible given the amount of over seas relatives most scots must have.

the problem lies with people telling Scottish people they know best about Scotland, their great great granddad being born here or not doesnt make any difference.
I think I need to rephrase what I said in my original post. I have not found any issue here on this forum or felt any animosity toward those of Scottish descent. There was one comment I read that said we weren't welcome in Scotland on the same level as those born there. I understand this, I relate to it and agree with it. I did not take offense with it in any way.

As to the other comments I quoted, they came mainly from You Tube users. As for the others I didn't quote, unfortunately, whether you are a Scot, Kiwi, Aussie, American, Chinese or any other nationality, there are people within all these groups who just like to hate. It is a individual thing, not necessarily the general consensus of the whole. But, after reading some of these comments, legitimate or otherwise, it did prompt me however to pose my question to this forum. My book touches on some of this and I want to make sure I am writing with some degree of authority.

Tig, I agree that it doesn't make any difference if your grandfather or 4th great grandfather was born in Scotland, we as descendants have no idea what is best for Scotland let alone tell you that are born there what is best. We might identify culturally, and we might share a common ancestry in some cases, but that doesn't make us Scottish.

Cheers
Old 10th August 2013, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkirk View Post
I have observed on this forum , and in person , some who were not born in Scotland referring to themselves as Scottish .
I'm intrigued by this ,
how on earth did they manage to be born on two places at once ?
I have observed the same Max, and I can only speak for myself when I say this. I have a strong Scottish ancestry on both my mother and father's side of the family, Anderson/McKellar, I also have a decent splattering of Welsh and English, and a sprinkling of French, Spanish and German. I was born in New Zealand from immigrants so which culture do I identify with? It can get a little confusing for some people with such diverse ancestry, and I myself struggled for quite some time to find my cultural identity. But this is quite different I think from national identity. While I identify very strongly with Scottish culture, it doesn't make me Scottish.

Cheers