Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Moving

Notices

Scottish Immigrants and Their Descendants

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11th August 2013, 20:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwarth View Post
Why no kin to your 'other' ancestry.

French. spanish and German.... Do they not have history?

Jings,if you have other national ancestry, I think you should be equally proud. I've always thought Braveheart has a lot to answer for
Why no kin to my other ancestry? Simply because I haven't discovered them yet. According to my English grandmother, the French, German came from her father's side of the family, Henstridge, and the Spanish came from her mother's side, Goodfellow, somewhere way back when. My grandmother was always very vague about the connections and the time frame.

Anyway, researching one's ancestry can take considerable time, effort and money. All of which I have contributed to greatly. I have been lucky in one case to trace my great grandmothers side, Paul, back to 1537, but in other cases I have often reached the proverbial brick wall. For example, it took me nearly a year and a good deal of money to finally discover that my grandfather's older brother William, joined the Royal Navy at the same time as he in 1903, jumped ship in Auckland, NZ in 1905 and completely disappeared. It took me the same amount of time and money to finally discover when my great grandfather John Anderson died. Where he is buried is still a mystery.

As for Braveheart having a lot to answer for, I couldn't agree more, and definitely in more ways than one.

Last edited by Valmai; 11th August 2013 at 20:29.