Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Moving

Notices

Moving due to husband getting a job in aberdeen

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 8th January 2015, 08:29

Thanks Babz
I think the first question is where to locate ourselves.
The job is likely to be based in Aberdeen near to the harbor. This is not confirmed yet. I would like to be North of the River as I have heard that there is going to be a bypass in to the city soon so that would stop the bottle neck getting over the bridge and in to Aberdeen. Can you confirm this is true.
So North of the river locations to move would be a starting point please. Ideally on a train line or within 5 minutes of a train station. Not too close to Aberdeen due to cost of houses.
Old 8th January 2015, 21:32
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Sniper View Post
Thanks Babz
I think the first question is where to locate ourselves.
The job is likely to be based in Aberdeen near to the harbor. This is not confirmed yet. I would like to be North of the River as I have heard that there is going to be a bypass in to the city soon so that would stop the bottle neck getting over the bridge and in to Aberdeen. Can you confirm this is true.
So North of the river locations to move would be a starting point please. Ideally on a train line or within 5 minutes of a train station. Not too close to Aberdeen due to cost of houses.
Have you been and looked around Aberdeen yet ?

I knew a lot about Aberdeen before we moved as that is where my parents grew up and moved
from in the 50's

Coming into Aberdeen(from the south) is the river Dee and going out is the river Don so I am
guessing you are meaning the Don

As the ring road is going to be a single and not dual carriageway it will probably be chocker blocked within
days of opening by lorries etc.
I suppose it could relieve some of the towns traffic and that will be eased more when another bridge is built
over from the Bridge of Don to Tillydrone.
They are building homes along near the river there now !
At the moment it can take over an hour to get through from one side of the city to the other.

So living outwith Aberdeen is a good idea.

Dyce has a railway station as does Inverurie, the latter has good shops and I personally like there.
Dyce also has the airport !

You think the job will be based near the harbour so wouldn't south of Aberdeen be a place
to look at also ?
They are building houses in the smaller villages on the way to Stonehaven, where there is a
railway station.
The buses around Aberdeen are pretty good or at least they were when my hubby worked for them hehe
There are bus lanes in the city which does ease a little congestion and I do mean a little !!

Old 9th January 2015, 22:37
Super Moderator

Housing

Just a query so that I can look to places that might be suitable for what you are wanting

Are you wanting to buy or rent ?

If buying what would be the upper limit you would want to go up to(if you don't want to put in
here you can send me a private message)

The same with renting and the upper limit for that !

After looking at some prices of housing I have decided to wait until you get back to me.

Also how far out of Aberdeen would you be willing to live so that the commute doesn't take your life over !