Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Moving

Notices

American, UK Fiance

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13th January 2013, 02:37

American, UK Fiance

Hello, I'm 23 years old just about out of college, and I have a fiance over in Dundee. She is a UK citizen, born and bred. She is still in university there. We are both obviously very young, but we are planning to get married, but haven't decided a date. Basically, our situation is me getting over there just for a bit, as a permanent resident, but not applying or attempting to get UK citizenship. We eventually want to move back to the States together, but for the time being we are looking at every possible option to get me over there and working. I have been offered a job, a management level position in a very nice restaurant, but that's not one of the "highly skilled migrant workers" positions, obviously. I don't know if my getting offered a job even matters, or if our only option is marriage, then apply for settlement? We're so very desperate, and this whole process is very frustrating, to say the least. Can ANYONE help?

Thank you!

PS. Also, I will be going over there for a few weeks for her birthday in February, and we plan on speaking to some friends of her parents in which the woman (Scottish) married an American so hopefully they can give us some pointers. So if there is anything else I can do that will be of some benefit meanwhile when I'm there, please let me know! Thank you again!

Last edited by samueladam_; 13th January 2013 at 02:54.
Old 13th January 2013, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by samueladam_ View Post
Hello, I'm 23 years old just about out of college, and I have a fiance over in Dundee. She is a UK citizen, born and bred. She is still in university there. We are both obviously very young, but we are planning to get married, but haven't decided a date. Basically, our situation is me getting over there just for a bit, as a permanent resident, but not applying or attempting to get UK citizenship. We eventually want to move back to the States together, but for the time being we are looking at every possible option to get me over there and working. I have been offered a job, a management level position in a very nice restaurant, but that's not one of the "highly skilled migrant workers" positions, obviously. I don't know if my getting offered a job even matters, or if our only option is marriage, then apply for settlement? We're so very desperate, and this whole process is very frustrating, to say the least. Can ANYONE help?

Thank you!

PS. Also, I will be going over there for a few weeks for her birthday in February, and we plan on speaking to some friends of her parents in which the woman (Scottish) married an American so hopefully they can give us some pointers. So if there is anything else I can do that will be of some benefit meanwhile when I'm there, please let me know! Thank you again!

I'm afraid it sounds unlikely that you would be given a visa based on your job, if it is not on the list of professions we actively recruit for at present. However, I am not an expert, so check on the UKBA site. All the requirements for all visas is clearly laid out on the site.

If you married your GF you would be able to apply for the appropriate visa, but
I think there are restrictions re working. I know there is a site called UK-yankee which could probably give you chapter and verse on the requirements of the various visas. I do know that many of the visas are very expensive!

Good luck.