Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Moving

Notices

Moving for school???

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11th June 2012, 16:00

Question Moving for school???

I was thinking about moving my family (me, my husband, two kids(4&1), and a dog or two) over to scotland for me to go to college. I am 24 never been there or to college and I know that the schools are a lot better then the ones near where we live right now. It would also make us happy to live in the country our familys came from. My questions are what are their rules about moving dogs over are they like for Ireland? I am looking at getting a student visa and know it can be hard to find a job so what is the cost of living? What can we expect from the weather? my husband can not work here as he is a dissabled vet what will there be for him and our youngest to do during the day in Gallway is the city wheelchair accessable? As for the size of the city what city here in the US is similar? What is public transet like? Should we try and get a car? What are the gun laws we have a 9mm my husband got for home security when we lived in one of the poorer places of San Antonio Tx?
Old 11th June 2012, 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie0711 View Post
I was thinking about moving my family (me, my husband, two kids(4&1), and a dog or two) over to scotland for me to go to college. I am 24 never been there or to college and I know that the schools are a lot better then the ones near where we live right now. It would also make us happy to live in the country our familys came from. My questions are what are their rules about moving dogs over are they like for Ireland? I am looking at getting a student visa and know it can be hard to find a job so what is the cost of living? What can we expect from the weather? my husband can not work here as he is a dissabled vet what will there be for him and our youngest to do during the day in Gallway is the city wheelchair accessable? As for the size of the city what city here in the US is similar? What is public transet like? Should we try and get a car? What are the gun laws we have a 9mm my husband got for home security when we lived in one of the poorer places of San Antonio Tx?
no guns allowed.
your dog will have to go into quarantine for probably 6 months.
i doubt if youl get a student visa that will allow you to bring in your family tho....and if your on a student visa your only allowed to work less than 16 hours a week so youl never be able to look after your family on that if they did get to come over.
oh you do know Gallway isnt in Scotland but in Ireland dont you?
Old 11th June 2012, 23:49
Username Removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tig View Post
no guns allowed.
your dog will have to go into quarantine for probably 6 months.
i doubt if youl get a student visa that will allow you to bring in your family tho....and if your on a student visa your only allowed to work less than 16 hours a week so youl never be able to look after your family on that if they did get to come over.
oh you do know Gallway isnt in Scotland but in Ireland dont you?
You're far more diplomatic than I, tig

(I was wondering if she meant Galloway but either way she needs to do a bit more basic research on the place before she starts asking about the little things of life here.)
Old 12th June 2012, 01:24

ok thanks tig and yes I did know it was a typo I ment Glasgow and thanks for the additude scotsgait that is not something I need to hear I will be sure to try harder to find what I need with out help and the small things are important for us to know because of the fact that my husband is a dissabled vet in a wheelchair! but thanks for the answers.

Last edited by jessie0711; 12th June 2012 at 02:05.
Old 12th June 2012, 12:59

i dont even know if you can get a visa for college.....you could get one for university yes but youd need to check about college.

i doubt your family will get on your visa anyway
plus whos going to pay for your course at about 4k a year?
your rent will be 500 a month if you want to bring them.
youl only be able to work 16 hours in some student type bar job or something which will bring you in about 100 a week.
most students just work for extra cash as the student fund pays their uni fees and rent....but thats only for Scottish students so you would have to get a big loan of some sort.

so in reality its all not likely to happen im afraid unless youve got loads of money
Old 12th June 2012, 19:32

ok thanks on the money thing for day to day stuff we would have money my husband gets dissability and they told him he could live in another country like scotland or ireland and still keep it he just has to stay an american citizen. and i was looking at getting into university i am just so used to saying college here and I have not looked much at how to pay for university but if I get in the veterans administration will help pay for it around $950 us per month if I remember right. because both my dad and my husband were in the military here and they are dissabled because of it. I know when i was looking a few months ago about the student visa my husband looked and found something that said he could come with me but on a different visa and bring the kids but i am not sure something like a travel visa i think
Old 12th June 2012, 19:59
Username Removed

Do your basic homework on immigration here UK Border Agency | Visas and immigration

Follow up any specific visa/immigration questions by contacting the UKBA using the links at UK Border Agency | Enquiries

Then, if you do qualify, come back and ask the detailed questions about Scotland.