Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Moving

Notices

London to scotland for good.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 9th June 2011, 17:50

London to scotland for good.

I'm a 28 year old guy living in london, with a job.
but i've always wanted to leave london, england and move to scotland.
i just need a idea of how to do it?
i've basically met a girl that lives in scotland and she wants me to go to scotland, so im very tempted to do it now.
i dont mind leaving my job and finding work when i get there, but im also a diabetic, so is the NHS exactly the same in scotland, and is prescriptions still free disabled people?
is it hard to find a flat once i get there? through the council that is.
any other info would be great.
Old 9th June 2011, 19:03

Normally you wouldn't have any chance of getting a council flat having come from outwith the area because the waiting list is so long - you would be looking at years before you were even offered a house - but as you say you're disabled that would move you further up the list although it would still be unlikely that you would be offered anything straight away. I need to say though that in the current economic climate you should think long and hard before giving up a job to move here because unemployment levels here are just as high as they are in England and there are a lot of people competing for every job.

- Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 9th June 2011, 19:07

The NHS is similar, but not the same. Diabetic care is excellent in Scotland.

Depending on where you wish to settle, jobs may be more difficult to find than in London, unless you teach, or are involved in medical services, for instance. Try googling 'jobs/Scotland/(area you want to live)/skills and see what comes up - it may give you an idea of just how easy it might be for you.

I suspect that you would be waaaay down the housing list for a council flat! The waiting lists here are (I have been told, but have no personal knowledge about it) long - and, as a newcomer, I doubt you would be able to accrue enough points to jump the queue.

Can't your girlfriend give you some first-hand advice about her area?

Good luck with your proposed move, though.
Please do not assume that any underlined links in my posts are MY recommendations. They are not. It is this American site taking advantage of members' posts about Scotland to boost their advertising revenue.
Old 9th June 2011, 19:08

Oops, didn't complete my post before seeing AndyJ3's.
Please do not assume that any underlined links in my posts are MY recommendations. They are not. It is this American site taking advantage of members' posts about Scotland to boost their advertising revenue.
Old 9th June 2011, 19:29

she lives in glasgow, the plan was, for me to save for a few months so i got enough cash to last me for a while, stay with her in her place, but look for my own flat, and job.
Old 9th June 2011, 22:33

Sounds like a plan. But reliance on being given council accommodation is probably a non-starter.
Old 9th June 2011, 23:41

i've spoke to her today and she explained to me that it can be fairly hard to get a council flat, but due to my diabetes it might be abit easier,
but the problem i have is....
im looking to just pack my bags and go, i dont want anyone to know i have gone.
i want to leave london for good and not come back.
but i get free prescriptions from my doctor due to my diabetes which include insulin.
would this be a problem when i get to scotland?