Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Moving

Notices

Advice on location

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17th January 2011, 07:34

Advice on location

Guys,
I and my wife are moving to Edinburgh , one working in Edinburgh (Royal Infirmary area) and the other in wishaw. We don't know the area well and would appreciate some advice on what are the convenient locations to drive to bot, and also nice place to live.
Thanks in advance.
Old 17th January 2011, 07:53

The main roads running between Edinburgh and Wishaw are the M8 and A71; the motorway is obviously the quicker way to travel, but (for Wishaw at least) the A road is more direct! As for places to stay along those routes, you have Livingston, West Calder and Bathgate in West Lothian to name a few, all of which are convenient for one or both of these roads; these towns all also have railway stations for Edinburgh and in my opinion that is the better way to travel in to the city as traffic heading that way is usually a nightmare! Unfortunately Wishaw doesn't appear to have a railway station so that method of transport is out it seems!

Anyway, I hope this helps you a bit; if you need to know more just ask and I'll do my best to help... as I am sure others will!
Old 17th January 2011, 08:09

Thanks for the quick reply. If we ignore the convenience of location, what will be your best choice, in terms of quality of housing and neighborhood?
Thanks again
Old 17th January 2011, 08:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm9 View Post
If we ignore the convenience of location, what will be your best choice, in terms of quality of housing and neighborhood?
Sorry, but that's a question I can't really answer as I have only lived in one town in West Lothian; in the two areas I stayed one wasn't so good (but I only lived there a few months so maybe didn't give the place enough time) and the other (where I have stayed for a few years now) is ok (no problems with neighbours, etc). All towns and cities have their good and bad areas and while I know some areas I might avoid chances are I am only doing so because of what I believe they are like and not what they are actually like!

As for quality of housing, where I live the houses themselves seem to be solid enough and the rooms (in this house I am in just now) are certainly large enough (unlike some recently built dolls houses that you could only swing a very small cat in!) Again tho I don't think I can really answer your question as I don't know what you are looking for in a house!
Old 17th January 2011, 13:59
Username Removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotSites View Post
hese towns all also have railway stations for Edinburgh and in my opinion that is the better way to travel in to the city as traffic heading that way is usually a nightmare! Unfortunately Wishaw doesn't appear to have a railway station so that method of transport is out it seems!

Of course, to get from Waverley (the main station in Edinburgh) to the ERI would require a transfer by bus. Mind you, that might still work out quicker than the M8 plus the by-pass.

There are plenty of nice towns and villages in the area you need to have a look at. Look at a map and get a rough idea of what they look like through Streetview - and then come back and ask for our opinion as to what sort of an area it is (though there's good and bad in all).
Old 17th January 2011, 14:50

Thank you both for your replies.
In fact I have been using street view but the places I saw were not appealing. I am sure there are places that are hiding from our eyes. We are looking for the higher end of market in that region and shortlisting by people who know the area will be very useful.

We will be commuting by car but we travel out of the rush hour and that should help a bit.

Best wishes
Old 17th January 2011, 19:46

just go one a property/letting sites and just pick one of the most expensive ones then mate.

the dearer the better area

im from glasgow and dont really know the burbs of Edinburgh that well.....avoid sighthill is all i know