Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Moving

Notices

American moving to Scotland

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20th February 2010, 21:33

American moving to Scotland

Hi, I am thinking about moving to Scotland but I'm not sure if it's just that simple.

Can I just move from here to live there or do I need a valid reason? I know that moving to live in USA is extremely hard, and I'm not sure how it works the other way around.

Also, can a person getting minimum wage rent a decent apartment? By decent I mean a 1 room, 1 kitchen, 1 bathroom and 1 living room, or something like that.

Give me some thoughts and opinions. I'm not sure when I will move, but probably somewhere in the next 5 years or so. I'm also not sure what part of Scotland, but I was thinking something a little close to the hillsides.

Thanks.
Old 20th February 2010, 23:37

Hello

It is just as hard either way. Red tape and all that. The first thing to do is decide exactly what you want to do. Then seek advice from the nearest British Consulate or Embassy. I feel sure they will have web sites that would give the required information.

The UK, which includes Scotland, minimum wage is:

3.75 per hour (Under 18)
4.83 per hour (18 21)
5.80 per hour (22 Over)

This would equate to: 150.00 to 232.00 per week of 40 hours.

You have not specified a skill, trade or profession, which, if in demand in Scotland, would significantly enhance your earning potential. It would also significantly speed up the process of transition.

A one bedroomed flat, which is what you are describing, at the lower end of the market could be got for around 100.00. Then utilities bills would also have to be paid.

Current exchange rate: - 1.00 = $1.54

Wherever in Scotland you decided to settle you would be close to hills, in most parts actually on hills.

I hope this will be of some help to you and wish you well in your quest.

Regards,

Crofter.
Old 22nd February 2010, 01:00

About the one bedroom flat, you said 100, is that per month or week?

What I'm concerned the most is the Visa issue. I have no experience in moving, much less to another country, and I know it can be very complicated.

I looked up some Visas and the closest one I found was one that I can't recall the name right now, but it is for people under the age of 30 who want to work for a year.

The only problem with that one is that I can only stay for two years and can only work a total of 12 months, so, unless I plan to come back soon, it wouldn't be very useful.
Old 22nd February 2010, 01:27

deja vu

This post looks strangely familiar. With unemployment there, you have to be Tier 2 which is highly specialized. You can be a student, but can only work 20 hours a week. You have to be offered a job before you can apply for a work visa.
Old 28th February 2010, 02:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCfromGA View Post
This post looks strangely familiar. With unemployment there, you have to be Tier 2 which is highly specialized. You can be a student, but can only work 20 hours a week. You have to be offered a job before you can apply for a work visa.
So, basically, there's no chance to move over there unless I'm specialized in something?
Old 28th February 2010, 12:48

Nick,

The costs I quoted were average weekly costs.

Try One Stop Visa | UK Immigration Experts This site seems to have answers to all your questions and more.

It would be much easier for you to check it out yourself than for me to attempt to copy it all here.

Regards,

Crofter.
Old 28th February 2010, 19:51

They have high unemployment at the moment. As jobs go. UK citizens get first round, then EU members, then foreigners. So, you get picked if they can't find anyone in the UK or European Union.... then I'm sure there's the process of them justifying. If you're tier 2, the UK government acknowledges that these fields have shortages so great that they can't be filled by UK or EU and there's not that huge justification process that has to be resolved.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...ofpractice.pdf

You could go to school there.

Hope this helps