Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Moving

Notices

Returning Senior Cits.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13th October 2006, 12:26

Electrical Items

Hello again, to the Forum Members,
As we are busy preparing for our return back to our Homeland of Fife.
We are wondering about the possible use of our Video Recorder--'Sony'
Understandably we realise that our plugs will require changing & that our T.V.'s arent' acceptible there either. But we were hoping that maybe our Sony Video Recorder would work. After an inspection of its Book to-day, it tells us that it is set up for 'Australian or New Zealand' networks. Having been purchased here.
The other query of mine, is to do with the (cheapest I.S.P. providers) in Fife Scotland.
Any helpful' answers, to these questions would be very much appreciated.
Tom did attempt to contact Sony to-day, but you get the usual run-a round. Never achieving any concrete answer either. Tried the web-site too, but I am probably quite a dumb bell with this effort.
Cannot afford to purchase new ones over there unfortunately. Otherwise there wouldn't be this problem.!!! wilsonmary20
Old 13th October 2006, 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonmary20
Hello again, to the Forum Members,
As we are busy preparing for our return back to our Homeland of Fife.
We are wondering about the possible use of our Video Recorder--'Sony'
Understandably we realise that our plugs will require changing & that our T.V.'s arent' acceptible there either. But we were hoping that maybe our Sony Video Recorder would work. After an inspection of its Book to-day, it tells us that it is set up for 'Australian or New Zealand' networks. Having been purchased here.
The other query of mine, is to do with the (cheapest I.S.P. providers) in Fife Scotland.
Any helpful' answers, to these questions would be very much appreciated.
Tom did attempt to contact Sony to-day, but you get the usual run-a round. Never achieving any concrete answer either. Tried the web-site too, but I am probably quite a dumb bell with this effort.
Cannot afford to purchase new ones over there unfortunately. Otherwise there wouldn't be this problem.!!! wilsonmary20
I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to your query, wilsonmary20 - but VCRs are being sold at rock bottom prices here as many of the major chains, eg Dixons and Curry's are phasing them out.. I saw one on special offer at a local supermarket for 20 pounds!
Old 13th October 2006, 17:57

TVs in Britain use the PAL system, the same as is Australia. So a vcr or tv that works there will work here. But since the cost of bringing it here would probably equal the cost of a new one, why bother!

ISP's are mostly the same - per month around 12 for dialup, 15/18 for basic broadband, 18/20 for faster downloads and maybe wireless, 20+ for unlimited downloading and fastest speed.
Old 14th October 2006, 08:32

Very Many Thanks!!

Hello again to these 'Caring Forum Members'
for your very welcome replies to my queries about the VCR's Etc.

Would anyone know of 'package deals' available for Senior's, which combine your phone & Internet.

It is all to do with having to keep our expenditure down, plus needing to save some money to-wards our funeral's. Always realising the costs of them, keep increasing as the years go by.
((Not intending to sound depressing, just facing facts of life.))

In the meantime "Stay as sweet as you are" looking forward to keeping in touch.!!! wilsonmary20
Old 14th October 2006, 12:05
Super Moderator

As far as I know 'deals' for pensioners are not done over here for phones etc.

There is a site which might be of help to you when you eventually get over here in getting things
for your home, it's called Freecycle...

Freecycle Groups Around the Globe

Freecycle is a worldwide organisation(there is one in Adalaide) this is the info from the front page of
the Aberdeen site.....

Aberdeen Freecycle(TM) is open to all who want to "recycle" something rather than throw it away.
Whether it's a chair, piano, jam jar or old door, feel free to post it. Or maybe you want to acquire
something yourself? (Nonprofit groups are also welcome.)

One constraint for all: everything posted must be free.

This network is brought to you by The Freecycle Network(TM), a nonprofit organization and a
movement of people interested in keeping good stuff out of landfill. Check out freecycle.org for other
cities and info on the movement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally, I am going to move this thread across to the 'Moving Forum' as it has moved on from greetings
and is becoming a very helpful thread for others to get informtion from !!
Old 14th October 2006, 15:55

Quote:
Would anyone know of 'package deals' available for Senior's, which combine your phone & Internet.

I have just been helping my dad transfer onto broadband and I did not see any special deal for senior citizens. However, most ISPs offer a package deal, and prices do not differ very much. Which ISP to use can depend somewhat on the specifications of your computer. e.g., my dad now uses TalkTalk, but for his friend using an older computer (only 64 MB RAM), Vitgin internet looked more suitable.

Free Broadband with our Talk3 Call Plan - TalkTalk

Virgin.net ISP - Broadband Internet access, news and entertainment

The two seemed to suit the needs of my dad and his friend but that is not to say the others are not worth a look. Just one of the great joys of moving, I suppose, trying to disentangle the pros and cons of 'phones and such. Here's a site that offers a few comparisons.

your guide to broadband in the UK - broadband.co.uk

Oh, the fun - all this and packing too! I don't envy you (but I'm sure it will be worth it).
Old 14th October 2006, 23:11

Quote:

BTW, your questions are getting rather silly. Rather more important than not having an internet connection in Scotland, you don't yet have a phoneline in Scotland, or even a house in Scotland to have the phoneline in, and you are not even in the same continent where that house would be!