Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Moving

Notices

Is it possible to become a Scottish citizen?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 2.88 average. Display Modes
Old 18th December 2005, 06:03

Is it possible to become a Scottish citizen?

Here is a question for the moderators, if you could point me in the right direction...

I am a citizen of the United States and I would be interested in getting Scottish citizenship exclusively. I was told by a person from Scotland that it is not possible, could this be true? She told me that in order to even be considered I would have to first apply for UK citizenship then approach Scottish Parliment for consideration of Scottish citizenship. How much truth is there to that?

Any help would be worth its weight in gold...

Brian
Old 18th December 2005, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdnsc1138
............... I would be interested in getting Scottish citizenship exclusively. ............

Oh, I'd be very intersted in that too. And I am Scottish.

Right then,your friend is right *up to a point" - it's not possible (for now ). Scottish citiizenship simply does not exist.

To acquire British citizenship would not be easy: I rather think you need to acquire a visa to come to the U.K., and later see whether you can get extended leave to remain and so on, and so on...................

It could be potentially misleading for me to try to interpret the relevant rules. Therefore, really, it is best to consult the U.K. Embassy, or the U.K. Consulate nearest to you.

and/or

to look at the this link for the U.K. Immigration & Nationality Directorate

There are some members of this board who have moved here from the U.S.A., so it IS possible.

Also, you could do a *search* (button towards the top of the page here, in the middle) and find older threads where people have asked about moving here - the answers given might be helpful to you.

Good luck - reading a bureacratic government website should pass a quiet Sunday quite easily. heheheh
Old 18th December 2005, 13:11

Ah, I see that your friend is "she". Marry the friend - much less fuss that way.
Old 18th December 2005, 16:25

I am afraid she is twice my age, and already happily married . As a matter of fact I believe thats how she gained citizenship here...

Yes I believe your link will be most helpful if not the most pleasent reading.

Thanks so much,
Brian
Old 19th December 2005, 10:17

I'd be interested in knowing how to approach the Scottish Executive to obtain 'Scottish' citizenship, too..... I thought all us Scots had to be UK citizens?
Old 19th December 2005, 16:35

Gosh, if I could become a Scottish citizen instead of a British citizen when the time comes for me next year, I would do it in a second!

Brian I'm afraid becoming British is quite a struggle. As Celyn said, you must first get permission to live in the UK legally...either with a work permit, a highly skilled migrant visa, or as a spouse of a British citizen. Even then, you must satisfy a residency requirement before applying for citizenship. As a spouse, you must live in the UK for three years before you qualify. As a work permit holder, it is five years.

And as for becoming British exclusively...it's very very difficult to renouce your US citizenship. Most people settle on dual citizenship, which is what I plan on doing.

And get this: you still have to file US taxes each year, even if you never plan on setting foot on US soil ever again....the IRS keeps you under its steely thumb from thousands of miles away....*grumble*

I married a Brit, so in some ways, I've got it easy. But I do know a number of Americans who are now happily living in the UK with work permits. One becomes British next year too. Where there's a will, there's a way. Good luck

-kate
Old 20th December 2005, 18:41

I thought you had to give up US citizenship, I was told that the US no longer accepts dual citizenship...

When you say taxes, does that include wages earned overseas or just on American income??? Christ the IRS is SCARY!!