Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Moving

Notices

Moving to true love

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24th February 2004, 01:08

Talking

HI MY NAME IS LAUREN AND I AM MOVING TO SCOTLAND TO BE WITH THE GUY I LOVE AND I HAD SOME QUESTIONS ON HOW TO GET INTO SCHOOL AND HOW MUCH IT WOULD COST. I AM STUDYING TO BE A PSYCHIATRIST. IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFO OR WOULD JUST LIKE TO TALK I WOULD LOVE IT THANK YOU.
Old 5th March 2004, 12:25
Super Moderator

Am I right in thinking that because you are called RangerGirl it
is Glasgow you are moving to ??

I think I will tell Celyn to look in here as she is good at tracking things
down for people and she does live in Glasgow !!

Suki
Old 6th March 2004, 04:17

Yes I am moving to Glasgow i would really appreciate it if you would have your friend help me out, it would mean alot to me, thank you so much for replying.
Old 6th March 2004, 14:07

Lauren
With a little more information, people might be able to answer any specific questions you ask!

For instance, are you intending to study as an undergraduate - or postgraduate degree? What kind of qualifications do you already have? Do you know whether they have equivalency with Scottish quals?

Where are you from? This makes a difference re fees. For overseas students the rates are quite high.

Here's the prospectus for Glasgow University. There are a number of Unis in the surrounding area, so if you will not be living in Glasgow itself, one of them may be of more interest to you.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/sras/
Old 8th March 2004, 05:07

Iam from California, but the thing is that I am going to be obtaining my british passport in one month so I am sure that is going to make a great deal of a difference.
I know this might sound stupid but I have actually never heard the terms post graduate or undergraduate, we must call it something different, and I have a high school diploma and I dont know if I have the equivalency for the British Unis. I really appreciate you helping me out and if anyone has any further information I would love to hear from them.
Old 8th March 2004, 09:22

Right - so you haven't started a degree yet?

In that case, you need to have a look and find out the US HS Diploma Equivalency to Scottish Highers or British A levels. Then you need to work out whether you have enough points to get on an undergraduate degree in Psychology at your chosen Uni - entry requirements vary from institution to institution.

Although you may get a British passport - I think the rules are something like that you have to have had the UK as your primary home in the past three years before our fees policy would be applicable to you as a British resident. This means, I would think (but don't quote me - have a look on the Glasgow site or the Home Office site for definitive info re overseas uni student fees) that you might be expected to pay full overseas rates. Quite expensive..! Here's the Home Office site have a look under immigration and you should find info re student visas, student assistance etc. http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/

An undergraduate degree is a first degree at a British university. In Scotland this is 4 years long. Most English/Welsh uni courses are 3 years unless you do a sandwich degree, in which case it is 4 years.

[Edited by Polwarth on 8th March 2004 at 18:08]
Old 28th April 2004, 22:15

Send a message via AIM to druid1616 Send a message via MSN to druid1616
a phicologist.........never could stand them myself!!!!