Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Moving


How do I obtain residency in Scotland?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 22nd September 2003, 04:42
Kimberlyrose1322 Kimberlyrose1322 is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1

I'm new here--I live in the United States (in Minnesota) and I'm going to be marrying a resident of Scotland (U.S. Citizen) next June, and then moving back with him near Glasgow. As a resident, he can work there (he's been there over 8 years). How can I go about everything I need to do to establish residency? Can I gain residency through marriage? Will I be able to work legally? I'm will graduate in May with a 4 year degree in English and I'll need to eventually find a job! Any suggestions or advice about any of this would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much---I love your country!! I'll be back for Christmas too!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 22nd September 2003, 05:31
HollyElise HollyElise is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,338
Hi Kimberly,

I don't know too much about it but i know many have come here and asked the same questions. You might want to go to the section here that says "Moving" and read other posts there. Then after if your question isn't answered post your own question there. Some of the members of this board have been so generous with their time, i thought we could help them out a bit by not asking them the same questions if they've already been posted.

Welcome to Scotland.com! I hope you'll come join us in other parts of the board, we talk about all sorts of things.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 22nd September 2003, 17:12
Little_Imp Little_Imp is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 360

Welcome to Scotland.com! Unfortunately I don't have any info for you on your specific query. But come in sit down, have fun!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 22nd September 2003, 20:53
kathyv's Avatar
kathyv kathyv is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 6,674

Here it is!

Best of luck Kimberly! You will love living in Scotland!

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 22nd September 2003, 23:21
Polwarth Polwarth is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 7,206
If you look at some of the threads on this forum, you will see that many Americans have asked the same question...!

I suggest you go the Home Office site and look at the section on immigration. Here's the URL

If you have any specific questions, please ask, and I am sure that someone here will try to help you.

Best of luck with your quest to live in the UK.

You need to check the grounds on which you hope to enter the UK.

With a degree in English, you may be eligible for a job such as teaching, which the UK is actively recruiting for among overseas nationals....
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 30th September 2003, 22:04
jennbear jennbear is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 64
Question Help a girl out!

Help a girl out?

How'd you land the Scotland Lad???

Please spill the beans...

Forever grateful...

Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:31.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC4 © 2006, Crawlability, Inc.