Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Moving

Notices

Dual Citizenship

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24th August 2003, 19:39

Question

Well i've been looking around at different topics and i was just curious if it's possible for me to get a dual citizenship for scotland...

I currently live in the united states and i have my whole life... but the thing is i dont' have any relatives (not even distant that were scottish) looking around here it's seems a lot harder to move their if you have no connections... relatives, spouse, etc...

I'm only 15 now and i'm trying desperately to plan ahead... but unfortunately it hasnt been going well adn i haven't been able to find specifics...

so really any help at all would be really great because i'm still struggling to understand all the legal stuff that i'm going to have to go through..

Thanks!
A very confused american
Old 24th August 2003, 22:56

Hello there
I am afraid that you would not be entitled to dual US/British nationality if you do not have a British citizen as a relative, no further back than a grandparent.

The UK has very tight immigration laws - have a look at the Home Office site and you should find all the information about all the rules and conditions of living/studying/settling in the UK.

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/

By the way, Scotland, Northern Ireland, England and Wales - all the citizens have British nationality - ~I'm afraid there isn't any such thing as a Scottish passport, or a Welsh one!
Old 25th August 2003, 23:15

well thank you very much for your reply... and i shall check out the site.. but does this mean that there is no hope of me getting to Scotland at all? even if i do renounce my american citizenship?
Old 26th August 2003, 00:00

You should read that site I gave you

You cannot renounce your US citizenship and gain automatic UK citizenship.... you'd be left stateless!

The UK has a list (on that site somewhere) showing areas of expertise that we require, such as medicine, teaching etc. IF you had those skills then you would be allowed a work permit to enter the UK... Without required skills, and if you were not intending to study here, then I don't think you would have much of a chance of living and working here... Studying here would be an expensive option....

However, why would anyone wish to give up their own nationality for that of a country they haven't even visited? If I were you, I'd think about coming for a few holidays (you never learn enough about a place after only one visit) - and then make a decision. Afer all, 15 is still quite young to make major decisions about your future.
Old 27th August 2003, 05:00

yes i've actually been looking at that site off and on.. i'm sure i've only found like a 1/16th of what i need but i'll keep at it

and don't worry i have no intention of renouncing my american citizenship anytime soon. i've just been trying to get some good research in before i try anything. so it's good to know that i can't hope for a dual citizenship (though i must say a bit disappointing).

and the reason i've been kinda pushy about it is just because i'm being pushed a lot at home and school about what i want to do and everything like that... so therefore i've been doing all kinds of planning but i definetly plan to visit as soon as i can earn the cash... i know that's one other thing that i'm going to have to worry about too..

it probably would be hard to get a scholarship for somewhere in england?
Old 27th August 2003, 09:27

Do you mean 'England' or do you mean 'the UK' re your question about scholarships?

If you mean the UK as a whole, you would have to approach individual universities to find that out.......

All I can say (and I work at a Uni!)is that if you want to come to study in the UK for an undergraduate degree, you need to have deep pockets (or your family does!).

Apart from the fees, the cost of living here (food, clothing etc) is high. Have a look for threads here from mlejoy, she is an American, who decided to do her Masters at one of the Edinburgh Unis. She couldn't believe how expensive things were here.... You need to be as thorough in your research as she was....

If you became an outstanding student at your American uni whilst studying for your undergraduate degree, then you MIGHT be considered for a Rhodes Scholarship. Do a google search for details But I wouldn't hold my breath - only a very, very small percentage of overseas students are eligible as Rhodes Scholars. Bill Clinton was one
Old 20th August 2004, 09:39

Talking

Go Bill Clinton Wish he was back in office...