Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Travel and Tourism > Moving

Notices

I need some more info

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17th March 2003, 16:32

Smile

For those of you that don't know who I am:
I am an American wife/mother of two, who has gone back to school for a degree in psychology. I am presently taking a class "Intercultral Communication" and working on a project, which is on your wonderful country.
I have a few questions:
Is it difficult for an American citizen to come live and work in Scotland?

Are there any American companies/corporations located in Scotland?

and finally,

If an American were to come live and work in Scotland, how would there be percieved?

I thank you for any and all comments. I have truly enjoyed travelling through your country via. Scotland.com.

Malette/aka kalika
Old 17th March 2003, 16:46

Hello, Malette

If a US citizen was 'transferred' to a Scottish branch of his/her home company, and the company made a case for why he/she was required, then it would just be a case of getting a work visa which the company would apply for on behalf of the staff member.

If you mean would it be difficult for an American to decide to come over and then look for a job... then this would be more problematic.

If he/she could prove they had a Scottish ancestor (no further back than a grandparent) then he would be able to get permission because of this familial link.

The Home Office has a list of areas of expertise where Britain is a net importer of talent. For instance, until last September, IT was a net importer of skill and if someone found a job with, say, BT, and BT applied for a work permit for that person, then the overseas person would be allowed to enter and work. However, as of September last year, this has been removed from the 'net importer' list.....

The simple answer is: if you have a skill/educational background (teaching or medicine, for instance) which we require, then you would probably be given entry.

There are a number of branch offices of US companies in Scotland, but you'd need to do a Google search and ask, I'm not sure of any specific names - but obviously, most US banks have offices in either London or in Edinburgh (depending, some deal with all matters from London, others have small branches in Edinburgh)

How would an American be perceived? Hmmmmm now that is a tricky one! If they make an active effort to find out about our ways and customs they will be welcomed! I think, on the whole, the Scots have a soft spot for Americans... I certainly have no 'anti' feelings against individual Americans.

PS I forgot to say that if you search this and the holiday fora there is a lot of information re moving to Scotland. mlejoy, an American is studying in Edinburgh for a Masters. Before she came to Scotland, she asked a lot of questions and was given loads of information - have a look, her questions may be exactly the same as you would like to ask!
Old 17th March 2003, 18:24

Smile Your are truly helpful, I thank you.

A question ... or two,

What is IT and BT?
and
Where can I find mlejoy, to ask her some questions?
Do you know her major?
Malette
Old 18th March 2003, 00:19

Talking Sorry, I shouldn't use jargon

IT is Information Technology - ie Computers/multimedia etc

BT - British Telecom - one of our main IT/telephone companies - with offices all over the world. In fact, I think it's now the main shareholder for a number of US telecoms companies.

Put a question in the Inn, mlejoy often posts there....

As for her major (well, she's at a British Uni doing a Masters, so the terminology is different) I think it is something like Leisure and Tourism - I believe her first degree was in Marketing (but don't quote me!).... She'd be happy to fill you in on her experiences, but it would probably be best addressing her on the Moving forum.

Old 18th March 2003, 00:29

No worries

Don't worry about using jargon as you put it, here it is called slang.
It gives me reasons to ask questions....that is what this was suppose to be, a learning experience.
I just didn't know that it would be so much fun gathering the information.
It will be a pain to put this thing together, but oh well.
Thanks again,
Malette
Old 18th March 2003, 02:12

Re: Your are truly helpful, I thank you.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kalika

Where can I find mlejoy, to ask her some questions?
Do you know her major?
Malette
i'm here

and polwarth was right... undergrad degree in business/marketing...MSc in international tourism
Old 19th March 2003, 18:06

mlejoy

Hi, I believe you have helped me before. I need to get a few things straight with the money.
Could you tell me the differences or the exchange thing. I have looked it up and I am not totally getting it. My project is due end of next week and I think I have just about everything I need.
I say that, but I probaly don't. Anyway, I thank you in advance.
Malette

By the way, what part of the states are you from, originally?