Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Literature and Film

Notices

books, stories, authors...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old 7th November 2001, 17:01

Smile

Hi everyone,

I think that literature not only means poems but also stories..
So I thought why not ask the others about their favourite books?

I just love to read and always try to find new books and authors.
So maybe you can recommend anything?

I for my part love J.D.Salinger and the books of Jostein Gaarder..

Anneli

Old 8th November 2001, 20:27

Wow, you don´t seem to be very interested in books..

That´s sad

Anneli
Old 9th November 2001, 11:17

Hi Anneli,
i ´m sorry for you nobody seems to be interested in books. But I´m. I like the criminal-stories of Henning Mankell, Donna Leon and Minette Walters..
Clint
Old 9th November 2001, 19:27

Sorry Anneli - too busy reading to post about books. Seriously, I've been reading way too much lately, and every thing else is piling up! I love mysteries - Elizabeth George is my current favorite. Her plots are so incredibly complex and her character development is without peer. (This only a slight pun since one of her main characters is an Earl). Her books absolutely must be read in order, since the characters are developed over years of personal growth, as well as that the knowledge of what happened in one case frequently carries over into the next book. The first book is "The Great Deliverance", which won Anthony and Agatha Best First Novel Awards and other international awards. The series is being produced now by the BBC starting last spring and will come to the US, probably in Feb. on PBS' "Mystery". Oh, and one of the books takes place in Scotland.
Old 9th November 2001, 20:06
Super Moderator

HMMMM lets see. Dick Francis, Elizabeth George, Ann McCrafrey, Barbara Kingslover, Anne Perry, anything and everything written by Mary Stewart, Marion Zimmer Bradley,
Tony Hillerman, Sue Grafton, Lillian Jackson Braun,

I love mysteries, classics, peotry, I will read anything that isn't killer gore or trashy romance.

I read 'The Girl In Hyacinth Blue' this summer and it was great. I am rereading 'Watership Down' now and am finding new concepts that I may have missed when I read it in school. I like to reread the good ones after several years. I reciently finished 'The Poisonwood Bible' and would reccomend it to all but don't try it untill you can devote a lot of time to the beginning, it takes a while for all of the beginning to come toigether but it is well worth the time! I've found people either love it or hate it. Either way, it's a good book!

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Old 11th November 2001, 10:49

Post Recipé for a Florentine

One of these things, like the shifting magnetic polarities, how civilisation trended north-westwards over the centuries.
Egypt - Greece - Italy - Scotland.

- What like is Vancouver?

Jim was asking a Canadian woman

- O Vancouver, it's just like California.

California with brains! From this northern seaboard came Ed Bickart, the world’s most tasteful electric guitarist. You could about tune your axe to his name. Medium term global forecasting [and a reading of the Kenneth White] predicted a westward continuation-Vladivostok here we come- backing thankfully southwards in a tightening arc, fetching Aoreatoa in the year 2000. A Scotsman’s brains used to come from the herring, but were they eating enough in the present time? The native genius is yet encountered in the city of Robert Ferguson ...

- What you been up to since I last saw you?

- Well I overhauled the hydraulics on the fishing boat, drafted an economic plan forCaithness, corresponded with Stephen Jay Gould, designed and manufactured a 200’geodesic dome for a jazz club in Dundee which we’re erecting the morn, and been jammin awaa wi the Hot Club o Stewarts. I only managed to paint half o Christine’s ceiling, though, as I was feeling a bitty tired after spotting the strip-ed goats.

She handed him a pint o the real Maclays.

- There’s a party on up the road when you’re recovered .. ¶ more ...
Old 11th November 2001, 11:36

I , too like the books of Henning Mankell, I think I have read most of his books.
I have never read anything by Elizabeth George, I think we even have some of her books at home..

Two good books are "The wishing game" by Patrick Redmond and "She´s come undone" by Wally Lamb..

Anneli